Api Ammonia Test Showing 0.25ppm?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

techen

Wolf Overlord
Reaction score
Both my tap and my tank get readings of 0.25ppm? Would this suggest that the test kit for ammonia is useless?

20121122_140435.jpg

I have used the same test kit for years(replacements of course) and I don't think I've ever seen a result that was as yellow as the card. My results are always the same color since cycling and I accept them as "0" and look for any changes. I have also had color variations with NO3 that don't show exactly right too but seem to fit in between the scale. Honestly, can anyone tell the difference between 40 and 80ppm on that card
sad2.gif

Thanks,
Steve

:rofl: i did wonder the dff between 40 and 80 ppm on the nitrate card.....

maybe your tap water has ammonia in? have you checked your water suppliers water testng data?

The API ammonia test is notoriously difficult to read. The best advice I can give is;

make sure you read the results under daylight, if at all possible, and avoid reading it under energy saving bulbs

take the top of the test tube off and look down it

hold the test tube a cm or so away from the card

the 'zero' result is greener than the yellow on the card.

As for the nitrate test; you really don't need to be that precise with it, it doesn't matter that much. Read it as;

yellow/pale orange = very good
orange = good
dark orange/red = bad
blood red = very bad

The API ammonia test is notoriously difficult to read. The best advice I can give is;

make sure you read the results under daylight, if at all possible, and avoid reading it under energy saving bulbs

take the top of the test tube off and look down it

hold the test tube a cm or so away from the card

the 'zero' result is greener than the yellow on the card.

As for the nitrate test; you really don't need to be that precise with it, it doesn't matter that much. Read it as;

yellow/pale orange = very good
orange = good
dark orange/red = bad
blood red = very bad

+1

Thanks,
Steve

Unfortunately, I've just bought a new API ammonia test, but I might try the Nutrafin one next time. Apparently that goes clear/pale pink/pink/red. I think it might be easier to see 'clear v pink' as opposed to 'greeny-yellow v yellowy-green'.

In the light thats almost wannabe yellow. So I take it I can count them both as zeros? Being which my tank is safe for fish.

I followed my testing closely throughout my cycling and the color that shows now is the same as the color that stayed constant during the last couple weeks of my cycle. I can tell if the color is darkening from the original color.

Thanks,
Steve

I'm glad I saw this! I had the same issues this morning. I may try the nutrafin one next time too.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that struggles to read the ammonia and nitrate!
laugh.png

My tap water is 25 ppm, so my tanks quickly change to red/orange nitrate results.....i have 2 weekly water changes..a small one mid week and a larger at weekend.... I change the poor goldies in the 25L tank every other day...his goes dark red very quickly, i just cant find him a pond!!! We have no room for another large tank and a pond isn't an option for us :( I'm assuming i cant acclimate him to 24 degrees tropical tank?? I have read some people do put goldfish in tropical tanks, but i don't think he would like it......

I have had Goldies in a tropical, they are OK for a short while, apparently from what I have read putting coldwater fish in tropical water can shorten their life span but for a short while it is OK.
At the moment I have Dojo Loach in a tropical but after the winter it is going in my cousin's pond.

Col; weather loach aren't hardy enough to live outside all year in the UK, I'm afraid.

MrsM; have you thought about finding your little goldie a new home through Aquarist Classified? It's free to put an advert on there, and you usually get a good response. Or a card up in your local LFS or P@H?

Well that is what I said, it is in my tank till after the winter.

WebRep

Overall rating

This site has no rating
(not enough votes)

Most reactions

Back