Any One Interested Before I Do This?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Wish I had extra money and extra tanks b/c I would love to go to our local Petsmart and rescue all of the females.
I think what you want to do is very admirable! :good:

well, itll be an endless cycle. its a good idea and all if they werent going to restock it with more betta, but every one you buy, another one comes in to replace it. if you buy that one to save it, itll repeat. the store might even stock more than before because they are making a hell of a lot of money. your head is in the right place, but you have to open your eyes and see how the real world works

I think what Jaded wants to do is fantastic.

People will never agree it is human nature, that is why we have survived and dinosaurs are extinct! :shout: I used to want to buy every sick betta I saw but I dont do it now. Only in very extreme cases. If I see bettas in bad conditions I ask to speak to the Manager, and TELL him his fish need sorting out or I will report the shop to their Head Office and the authorities. I also say I will write to the local papers. Only had to do this once. There is someone else who does this in my area as the lfs didnt have bettas for ages, as they kept them in the traps and someone complained, and it wasnt me honest.
My latest bug is the lfs has baby tortoises with no water in the vivarium. They dont need it they say, they do I say. I cant even get them to wet the green food before they give it to them! :angry:

well, itll be an endless cycle. its a good idea and all if they werent going to restock it with more betta, but every one you buy, another one comes in to replace it. if you buy that one to save it, itll repeat. the store might even stock more than before because they are making a hell of a lot of money. your head is in the right place, but you have to open your eyes and see how the real world works

I understand what you're saying... and I'm trying very hard not to get into me shpeal about how isn't it better to save one betta, and give it a better life, then to not rescue it because you can't save them all...

I'd hold off getting any more bettas for now if I were you. Sort out your current betta housing/situation first. You have just bought a lot of bettas recently (either off aquabid or walmart/petsmart), it seems. You may not be able to handle all of them coming in at the same time, specially if you're keeping them one per container. Set-up your 10 gallon barracks first so you won't have to spread yourself thin maintaining so many tanks.

I am quite aware of how much space and time I have, thank you very much. Please don't worry about me or my fish, we're doing just fine.

I think what Jaded wants to do is fantastic.

Thank you Liz :good:

People will never agree it is human nature, that is why we have survived and dinosaurs are extinct! :shout:

LMAO!! :rofl: :rofl:

we arn't pessimistic were just looking at it from all angles and what makes you think your saving them? not everyone who buys a betta is looking to harm them.

Sorry, I just can't help but wonder. You have two spawns currently going on, bettas coming in from aquabid, and more rescues from petsmart and walmart. I did ask you how you are going to house the babies on your spawn thread (along with another person, I believe), but never got an answer. You've answered each "oohs" and "aaahhs" over the betta parents, but somehow "forgot" to answer what your housing plans are for the babies.

1 spawn with only 20 or so fry, the other spawn ended when daddy decided to eat the eggs. And to answer your question from my thread from a month ago, I have about 60 or so 2 litre juvi cups plus a 20 gallon growout and a 29 gallon growout. You seem to deeply underestimate the amount of tanks and room that I have. And further more I don't have as many bettas as you make it seem. I have 8 males (In either 2.5 gallon tanks, or divided 10 gallons) and 9 females (split betweeen 2 10 gallon sororities) all of their tanks are heated and filtered except 1, which is my desk buddy lemon who lives in a 1 gallon bowl and gets water changes twice a week. And started tonight I will be setting up an new section of my fish room that will accomodate 13 new male bettas and 6 new females.

I suggested something sensible and practical (both for you and the health of your bettas), and yet you chose to get defensive over it. We're not out here to get you, you know. But whatever.

I wasn't getting defensive, it just irks me when people feel the need to tell me what THEY think I should do without even knowing anything about me, my fish, or my tank setup

In a way, I think its a good idea. You are getting those fish out of the situation and you KNOW they would be going to good homes. However, what would you do when they re-stock say double what they had because they are making more money? Would you then buy all of them aswell and sell them on? Because how Im looking at it is, say you buy all 20 females in a shop at once. The manager thinks 'oh they have gone quickly, Ill order some more'
20 more again get sold quickly to you. Manager thinks they are going really fast recently better put in an order for 40 females now. Then all 40 of them go aswell. So again, manager orders more. And so on - do you see what I mean?

I think its amazing that you want to rescue these fish as alot of them do get kept in terrible conditions, but those that are in good condition in my opinion should be left at the store. I think maybe you buy all the females that are sick and need treatment or damaged in some way, get them better and then sell them on?

Goodluck with whatever you decide.

I wasn't getting defensive, it just irks me when people feel the need to tell me what THEY think I should do without even knowing anything about me, my fish, or my tank setup

Are you kidding me??? You have saturated the betta forum with your posts, detailing which fish you bought that day, which fish are sick, which fish have died, what set-ups your fish are in, which tanks have been redecorated, which ones you're pairing up. So of course I know your fish and your tank set-up. Who wouldn't???

All I'm saying is, with the amount of fish you're buying at a certain time frame *, you should at least have the barracks ready FIRST, otherwise you'd be overrun.

* In a period of six weeks (1/26 - 3/08) you have bought 23 fish, (this does not include the 3 bettas that were wrongly shipped to you), 5 of which have died (at least, that's the ones that I've found). This headcount does not include the ones that you already have prior to joining this forum plus the babies.

Be realistic about this, will you?

sorry but i have to agree with you. also agree with what is above me. soon there will be lots of bettas in a cup as you said.

Can't you guys just support her on what shes doing, i think its a great idea nad if your going to be mean about it, dont bother posting

oh and she doesnt have 23 bettas because she just shipped 4 to me

Ooops! :unsure: It looks like I really kicked off a discussion here. Sorry about that. However, as an experienced environmental campaigner, I know that the only things that really work are: a) a complete boycott and make sure others join you in that, or B) make sure these shops get a bad image. After you tried of course to make them change, and not the work floor staff but management level. I have very good experiences with talking to the management level about problems.

were not being rude zafirah, we cant support someone who will be increasing sales and doing more damage in the long run.

I know bettas get shipped all the time, but I'm just wondering how come you guys are so enthusiastic about having a rescue betta shipped to you, when there's tons of bettas that need to be rescued in your own state? Why make the poor betta go through yet another stressful journey when there's one that's local to you that needs your help?

Personally, I don't have any stores close to me that sell females :angry: I wish they were as common as males around here :shout:

You know I understand everyones points. I'll help the ones I can, and they'll stay with me... I don't want to start a flaming war on here or anything, because I do understand everyones opinions and though I may not agree with some of them I will respect them. Fishkiller I apologize for coming off as harsh earlier. There's too much bad blood between people on forums and I don't want to have bad blood with anybody. In total right now I have 17 bettas, 9 males and 8 females, I just counted them all :lol: And currently have the space to bring in about 5 more males and maybe 4 females until I get my fish room completed. So can we just call a truce? :blush:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back