Any One Interested Before I Do This?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Jaded12

The Betta Bug Has Bitten... Resistence Is Futile
Reaction score
ok at the Petsmart near me female bettas are only $1.50, so I was thinking of buying a bunch of them and putting them up for adoption, so they can get out of the tiny cups in the store and to good home. But I don't want to do this if there's no interest. It would be $12 priority shipping or $20 express shipping for 1-4 girls and the girls themselves would be free. I'm willing to take the loss financially to find them good homes. So please let me know if you're interested, I am in the US. Thank you

Jaded, I think it is a benevolent idea and I know you really care about the fish, however keep in mind that these shops only sell goods if they can make a profit on them. As long as you keep buying their goods off them, they will keep stocking them in this way, and there will be no end to this.

I think what we should do (apart from some severe cases, as the fish saving action you did today) is buy them in places where they are treated properly, so as to reward good fishsellers. If nobody buys with the 'bad guys' they will go into a different business. Instead of buying them, you could point out to them in complaints (most big shops have these boxes for suggestions) that they are treating their fish badly, or alternatively you can ask to speak to the manager. I normally do this when I see things which are wrong. Don't forget that these people are ignorant about fish, and pointing out that it is cruel and give advice on how to improve might actually change something.

It doesn't sound very useful. I mean...they're petstore bettas. Anyone could get them anywhere and spend only a fraction of the amount you are charging for shipping. *shrug* And I do agree that buying them will not really help your cause. It would be like protesting against a bill and then voting for that same bill to be passed.

Perhaps you should try getting bettas that people don't want anymore and then put them up for adoption.

I never said that this petsmart treated the fish poorly, I simply thought that since their females are so cheap and people don't tend to buy females as readily as males that it would be a nice thing to do. And just for the record these stores DO NOT listen when you tell them they're doing something wrong, they don't care if you don't buy the fish, if you don't someone else will, or they'll die on the shelves and the store makes money either way. I wish people would realize this. I'm not doing it to "make a statement" I'm doing it for the fish.

Perhaps you should try getting bettas that people don't want anymore and then put them up for adoption.

I don't see the difference

I never said that this petsmart treated the fish poorly, I simply thought that since their females are so cheap and people don't tend to buy females as readily as males that it would be a nice thing to do. And just for the record these stores DO NOT listen when you tell them they're doing something wrong, they don't care if you don't buy the fish, if you don't someone else will, or they'll die on the shelves and the store makes money either way. I wish people would realize this. I'm not doing it to "make a statement" I'm doing it for the fish.

I don't see the difference

I agree! People are so ignorant at times. Why can't they jsut listen and realize that these stores get money whether the fish gets sold or dies :rolleyes: Hmm.. I guess this society enjoys death to much and prefers a fish die instead of getting a good home *shrugs*

jaded12, i agree with your last response, what is the difference? i was looking for a female for ages (no micky taking thankyou :D ) but they were no where to be seen so i gave up, maybe everyone who has got space for one could opt to go to their LFS and rescue the worst looking one that they got and give it a good home, must admit some look totally awful in shops and not cared for.
then they can post a "i rescued this one2 thread???????

but some shops really do care for their bettas i must state

Id be interested

And you guys, if she buys the fish and saving them its way better then her just leaving them their to die. Just because you stop buying bettas doesnt mean that everyone else will :crazy:

Isn't anyone concerned with walmart and the way their fish get treated? if you want to save a fish thats the first place you should go.
yeah but even if she saves however many shes getting there will always be a billion more that wont be saved and whose to say they wouldn't get a good home if she didn't buy them

I thought it would be a nice thing, but forget it, since everyone feels the need to be sp pessemistic :sad:

It would be a nice thing but some people just wouldn't see the value in it. But it's nice to have someone that would care that much to do such a thing.

yeah but even if she saves however many shes getting there will always be a billion more that wont be saved and whose to say they wouldn't get a good home if she didn't buy them

Isn't it better to save the ones we can, then not save any because of the ones out there that we can't save?

But it's nice to have someone that would care that much to do such a thing.

Thank you :good:

I would be interested if you could ship them to Canada and, if you had time at the end of April, and I think that you should still do this, even if some people disagree.

Yeh, jaded, i still think you should do it and i might joing you in your efforts :shifty:

interesting discussion! :good:

yes it is right, every buy will make even more suffer. For years humane societies and responsible persons oppose pets being sold like any other commercial commodity, and still you can buy puppies, kittens, whatever!

Well, good or no, I bought one male off lps, poor thing, leftover of a rotting Christmas stock.

yes it is right, every buy will make even more suffer.

And I repeat why should people stop saving the ones they can because of the ones they can't. Because there are bettas out there that we can't help we should just let them all suffer and not even help the ones we can? What sense does that make?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back