Am I done , finally?

Diab2005

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi guys

Just wondering if you can look at my tests. Nitrite is the one I'm not sure about as it has an ever so slight tinge of pink so not sure its exactly 0, its that slight I dont know if its in my head. Ammonia is no issue then nitrate I would say is 15-20ppm.

Attachments

• 20201103_110504.jpg
    20201103_110504.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 54
  • 20201103_111716.jpg
    20201103_111716.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 20201103_112904.jpg
    20201103_112904.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 51
How long before those tests did you add ammonia?
The end point of a cycle is when both ammonia and nitrite are zero 24 hours after adding 3 ppm ammonia.

Looking at the photos, I would say nitrite is just about zero, maybe very very slightly above, but less than 0.25.

How long before those tests did you add ammonia?
The end point of a cycle is when both ammonia and nitrite are zero 24 hours after adding 3 ppm ammonia.

Looking at the photos, I would say nitrite is just about zero, maybe very very slightly above, but less than 0.25.
Yea thats what i was thinking mate. This is after 24 hours, the nitrite was similar yesterday maybe a tiny bit darker. Does it need to be100% clear?

Since the amount of ammonia we use during fishless cycling grows more bacteria that a sensible stocked tank needs, I'd say the cycle has finished and you have enough nitrite eaters :)

I would do the big water change and get fish asap in case the shop closes on Thursday.

Since the amount of ammonia we use during fishless cycling grows more bacteria that a sensible stocked tank needs, I'd say the cycle has finished and you have enough nitrite eaters :)

I would do the big water change and get fish asap in case the shop closes on Thursday.

Wahoo, yea ive ordered them online so will be getting them tomorrow hopefully. How much water change do I need to do 78l tank? My nitrates aren't huge so was thinking it prob won't need much?

I would change at least 50 litres. If possible, drain it down to the substrate. This is to reset the water chemistry back to the same as tap water.

What fish are you getting? (Just nosey :) )

I've got 10 neon tetras 8 clown killis and 6 black corys coming. Plan on adding some honey gourami at a later date too see how the first stage goes

I would change at least 50 litres. If possible, drain it down to the substrate. This is to reset the water chemistry back to the same as tap water.

What fish are you getting? (Just nosey :) )

Essjay , did the water change today. Fish are coming tomorrow. Im tempted to add ammonia to make sure the readings are at 0 tomorrow in case I've took out too much nitrate or is this a bad idea cause it will mess with the new waters chemistry?

You don't need to add ammonia. Nitrate needs to be as low as you can get it - usually the same as tap water. The big water change is basically to remove everything that has been made in the water since it was first filled. As long as you remembered to add dechlorinator/water conditioner the bacteria you've just grown will be fine.

I always prefer to test for ammonia and nitrite for a few days after adding fish just to make sure. I have never seen either ammonia or nitrite but I'm a 'better safe than sorry' type :)

When the fish arrive, open the box in the dimmest corner you can find. They have been in total darkness for hours and sudden bright light will startle them. Float the bags in the tank until the temperature in the bag is the same as the tank, then net the fish out of the bag into the tank. Some people will advise adding a bit of tank water to the bag every 15 minutes but your fish will have been in the bag for hours and there will be ammonia in the water. The sooner they are in the tank the better. Keep the lights off till next day; I know it's tempting to turn the lights on so you can see them better, but they'll settle in better without lights.

You don't need to add ammonia. Nitrate needs to be as low as you can get it - usually the same as tap water. The big water change is basically to remove everything that has been made in the water since it was first filled. As long as you remembered to add dechlorinator/water conditioner the bacteria you've just grown will be fine.

I always prefer to test for ammonia and nitrite for a few days after adding fish just to make sure. I have never seen either ammonia or nitrite but I'm a 'better safe than sorry' type :)

Same mate I will be testing for that too. I thought you needed nitrate present to eat the nitrite otherwise you would get spikes. Didnt realise you want nitrate to be low
Same mate I will

Nitrate doesn't eat nitrite. Bacteria eat nitrite and poop nitrate. Nitrate is bacteria waste product. We do water changes of over 50% every week to remove nitrate as there are no bacteria in fish tanks which eat nitrate.
We should aim to keep nitrate below 20 ppm. The lower the better. It is not as toxic as ammonia and nitrite but it does affect fish long term.

Most reactions

Back