Air Stone In Fluval?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I have a 12 gal Edge and was wondering the same thing ... the rather small opening in the Edge makes you want bubbles for air exchange ... although when the filter is set to the highest flow rate it seems to push a fairly strong stream of water with an occasional bubble ... maybe if you set the air stones directly below the opening? ... nevertheless, I'm still debating the issue - still doing daily water changes (fish-in cycle) so am probably getting sufficient "new air" now anyway ... post what you decide

Air exchanges in the average tank primarily through surface movement, not bubbles, so it would be more effective to make sure that the tank is on a level surface and then use an airstone *away* from the opening, so it takes the air longer to leave the water, which means that each bubble temporarily increases the surface area of the tank. If the tank is leaning backwards, then air will collect at the front, so it's probably a good idea to check with a spirit level.

Yes the fluval edge :)

Which Fluval tank? The Edge?

I was wondering if an air stone would help with filtration, as the filter part the edge comes with is only small and its only a trickle of water at the top there isnt much flow about and any waste kinda stays at the bottom if too far away from the filter, would an air stone give more of a flow to the tank? aswell used with sand?

An air stone will not add to the flow of the filter (the pump inside the filter dictates this), but it will add slightly to circulation and may kick up waste more.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back