Air pumps vs air stones (yet another thread!)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

IndiaHawker

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
In a couple of weeks I plan to get something to provide extra aeration to my tank, and maybe a bit of entertainment for the fish. However putting aside possibly owning a cheap sort of bubble machine years ago as a kid, I have literally no idea what I'm looking for in this department. I gather that air stones and air pumps are different things? From what I can see air pumps are more expensive but considering they're still pretty cheap (seen them for ~£15) they're still very much an option.

What sort of thing is better for a 15 gallon/57L tank? Unsure where to begin looking, what are the pros and cons of either please? Ideally looking for something that doesn't take up too much space but aerates the tank well and looks nice!

EDIT: On a somewhat related note, the only unresolved sign of stress in my fish is that when I first turn the lights back on, my Bronze Cory seems to be frequently darting up to the surface for oxygen for a while - but after a bit of the light being on, s/he will go back to normal. I'm guessing this is to do with something that I've recently learned (possibly thanks to someone on here but can't remember for sure) about how aquarium plants take in oxygen at night and let off carbon dioxide, the reverse of in the day - this is my only guess as to why Dory/Dorian is doing this and hoping that something to provide aeration - particularly at night - will help this! (Also when I get a pump/stone, should I leave it on 24/7 or just at night?) Thanks!

Last edited:
To get air bubbles out of an airstone you need an air pump and some plastic tubing called air line. The Air pump sits outside the aquarium and is plugged into a power point/ power socket and pumps air through the airline into airstones that sit in the water. The bubbles come out of the airstones.

Plastic multi coloured airstones (see link below) are the best because you can take them apart and clean them before putting them back together. Other types of air stones eventually block up and need to be replaced.
https://www.ebay.com.au/p/2-Pcs-Mul...-Bowl-Pond/1544836441?iid=352136247916&chn=ps

The taller/ higher the tank, the bigger the air pump required.

Air pumps also come with 1, 2 or 4 outlets. The average person only needs a 1 or 2 outlet pump. I usually recommend a 2 outlet pump so you can use one outlet to pump air into the tank, and the other outlet can be used to aerate water for water changes or run a second tank. But a single outlet air pump is fine too.

If you buy an air pump get a couple of spare diaphragms for it when you get the pump. They eventually split and need replacing and its usually late at night or after the shops have shut. And when the diaphragms split the pumps make a heap of noise.

In a normal aquarium you should run the air pump 24/7.

----------------------
Corydoras and other catfish will regularly take air from the atmosphere to absorb oxygen from it and to help with their buoyancy. It is an adaptation to living in shallow stagnant pools with little or no oxygen and allows them to survive in water that would kill other fish due to lack of oxygen.

----------------------
In the morning open the curtains or turn the room lights on. Wait 30 minutes or longer before turning the tank light on.
At night turn the room light on and then turn the tank light off. Wait 30 minutes or more before turning the room light off.

Fish don't have eyelids so can't squint when it suddenly goes bright. By opening curtains or turning room lights on well before the tank lights come on, it makes it easier on the fish and they don't get blinded or startled by a bright tank light going on when it is dark, and gives them a chance to settle down at night before it goes completely dark.

Most reactions

trending

Back