African Dwarf Frogs And Bala Sharks?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

hives

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi, i have 2 african dwarf frogs in a 10g tank, will i be ok to get 2 or 3 bala sharks? hmm i have just 2 platys aswell, thnx

No. Bala sharks get very large and so do plecos. You should find new homes for your plecos (bigger or return to shop) and consider getting small community fish.

You realize that balas will get to about 14", a bit more than the length of a ten gallon.
What kind of plecos do you have, because most species are too large for a ten gallon. If you have common plecos, be aware that they get to around 2', more close to 20".
IMO, your options are to get a 125g tank with the balas, plecos, and frog, or keep the ten gallon with the frog and maybe get some smaller fish instead of the plecos.

HTH

No. Bala sharks get very large and so do plecos. You should find new homes for your plecos (bigger or return to shop) and consider getting small community fish.

sorry i meant platys a red platys, any good ideas on getting some to go with? faster moving fish but not aggresive would be good, thnx

sorry i meant platys a red platys, any good ideas on getting some to go with? faster moving fish but not aggresive would be good, thnx

OHHH OK. So you've got 2 ADF's and two Platies? Any idea of their sexes? If you've got a male and female, it is quite possible your tank will be filled with tiny platy fry which isn't necessarily good. Some "faster" moving fish that I like are Albino Cories. They are bottom feeders who eat any leftover scraps, they like to be in schools of a minimum of 3. I don't know how they interact with ADF's but I think it might be ok.

The bala sharks are a definite no-no. Your tank is way too small.

If you look in the livebearers section I believe there is a pinned topic on how to sex your platies. If you have 1 male & 1 female you should at least add another female. You should have a ratio of 1 male for every 2 females. If you dont want any fry then try to stick with just males or just females.

Right now I have 3 Adf's & 6 cories in a quarantine tank and have had no problems with them at all. They will be going to seperate tanks in about another week though. Cories are really cute and quite active. There are tons of pics and info about them in the catfish section.

How long has your tank been up and running? Is it cycled yet? If its been running for at least 6 months and your platies are not going to breed you could try a small school of neon tetras or maybe a group of male guppies :dunno:

Hope that helps and good luck!

its been running about 24 hours now! dwarf frogsd are doing fine, except
when i got up this morning one platy was fine, and the other is sitting behind a rock at the very bottum not looking very healthy at all... quite worring really ;[

Aha! I knew it! When i saw your pictures in the Member's Pictures section, i thought to myself 'those air bubbles streaks can't be good'

Read up on Fishless cycling :)

In the meantime, give back the Frogs and Platies and see if someone can hold them for you

i cant, and im not goinmg to either... i was told these fish would be ok to cycle it with and trhere quite hardy fish... im not doing a fishless cycle so im going to have to deal with it.. in any case my fish shop wont take them back incase there diseased as with any fish. Also im confused about this whoel thing really.. im told to leave my tank cycling, for a while... but the thing is.. surely your meant to clean the tank out once a month? so youd have to cycle everytime you clean it out surely? , thnx for the reply thou

Oh, well if you're doing a fish cycle, yes, the fish you have right now are fine, though the frogs may not be, i'm not sure.

You should wait about a month (the time it takes most tanks to cycle) before adding any fish.

And about the cleaning, during the cycle, don't clean the tank at all unless the Ammonia rises dreafully high, or the water becomes cloudy.

If you do a water change, it won't restart your cycle, because the bacteria for which the cycle is made live in the filter, not in the water. As for cleaning, you shouldn't rinse the sponges in the filter anyways, except for in a bucket with some of your tank water, but not under tapwater.

I'd suggest you clean it every week, or at lest once every two weeks.

And the reason your fish is sitting behind the rock are some of the reults of the cycling. You just need to wait it out now :)

unfortunatly just this second is died, laying on its back so i had to get take it out and get rid... a reall shame and has put a rewall downer on keeping fish, the other platy seems fine and the frogs also seem fine, just not sure on why this one decided to give up on me, thnnx ;[

R.I.P. :flowers:

I know, you've started up a new tank, and the fish dies. Are you sure no fish stores around them will take them from you?

Then you could start it up properly and have a healthy, thriving tank in a few months :D

Sorry, can i add:

Do you have a filter at all?

Well yeah i wouldnt have fish without a filter... i have an undergravel filter with quite a powerfull pump... this is what confuses me, its all looking quite clean etc, but that one fish died... on monday im taking a cup of water to the local pet shop and the guy there is going to help me out with the right chemicals i need after he has tested my water... also im going to invest in some hardy fish that eat off the bottum and will get rid of any uneaten food... for now thou im gona try not to feed them, maybe once every 3 days and any remainder food will be cleaned up. My birthday is in about 9 days so ill be spending a fair bit £100+ on random stuff i need... i.e another pump for the other side (not that it needs one) and a better light and hood etc, and alot on chemicals. Anyway #Fish Mike i appreciate your help mate and thanks for the quick replys :p

No problem, but may i add something;

An undergravel filter only provides Biological Filtration.

With that extra 100 i'd buy an Aquaclear, hang-on-back filter to at least add the Mechanical Filtration. An undergravel filter itself really isn't enough, especially because it doesn't catch free-swimming dirt, but rather, only dirt that has settled into the gravel.

And i'll be your Fish store and tell you why it died: Ammonia

Like i said though, i wouldn't recommend adding anything, at all until a month has gone by. By this time, your tank will have cycled and it will be a happy environment for other fish, rather than getting all of your fish now, having them struggle with life through the cycle ( And i doubt any bottom feeders will make it, generally speaking, only the platies might), and then them having a permanently weakened immune system.

And also, by adding so many fish at once, even as cyclers, it could lead to an Ammonia spike, utterly killing everything you've bought.

The filter may cost you about 20 pounds. If you really want your tank cycled, and want to add fish, i'd look out for Bio-Spira. This is the only product on the market that actually cycles your tank in two days. Don't let your eyes stray from this because of the price, i'm almost certain nothing else actually works.

If you wanted to add plants, i wouldn't recommend it, again, because of your Undergravel Filter. Having a water current pass over the plant's roots is alien to them, which will in the end kill them. I can honestly think of nothing better to spend that money on than the filter, and Bio-Spira. Unless you were getting fake plants and other deco, (driftwood), but if i was you, i'd at least set some money aside for the two.

Hope this helps,

:fish: mike

Oh, missed this:

The water may look clean, but that's because ammonia is clear. You wouldn't be able to see it, nor Nirtrites or the Nitrates.

And in fact, now that i think about it, the bottom feeders would interfere with your cycle. Yes, they'd clean up the gravel, but that would minimize the amount of ammonia in the tank on which the bacteria has to feed. You really need that food in there for that roller-coaster-like first month :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back