75g Mbuna Journal

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

It looks really nice! Keep up the good work. :good:

I have some good news and some bad...

1st the good:

I got my new lights today, they are much brighter (like 2x). So now I have 260w of CF light which gives me over 3wpg, here are some pictures to show the difference

1.625wpg Old light
FishTank035.jpg

3.25wpg New light
FishTank036.jpg

Now on to the Bad news, my nitrites still aren't being processed, I added more nh3 today to keep the AOB from dying off. Also I am still waiting for both filters, one should have been here the other should be here in the next few days. So more waiting for me...

Edit

Forgot to add that I got 2 actinic and 2 10k light bulbs with the new light, it was supposed to be 2 6500 and 2 10k, I have 2 10k so right now I have 4 10k in.

Just go through setting up a diy co2 system, hoping that will be enough for my plants. I also got the 2 new 6500 light bulbs in, I like the color much better then the 4 10k. I also got the XP4 which is huge compared to the 304.

The nitrites are still really high, right now they are about 5 and don't seem to be dropping. Good news is they don't seem to be going up either. I added 2 1oz packages of Bio Spria on Monday, hopefully that will finish off my cycling a little faster.

Some of the plants look like they are growing new leaves, and all the algae is making lots of O2.

It is official the cycle is finally done, and all the equipment is here. Not sure if we will have time to go get fish this weekend though.

It is official the cycle is finally done, and all the equipment is here. Not sure if we will have time to go get fish this weekend though.

Great news! :kana:

I've pinned this along with kj's as both threads can only be useful for newcomer's to african's.

Great news! :kana:

I've pinned this along with kj's as both threads can only be useful for newcomer's to african's.

[sarcasm]
You trying to make me feel more obligated to add more pictures?
[/sarcasm]

Thanks now I wont have to search down the page to updates.

WOOHOO!! :hyper: Congrats!! :drinks: YEAH :- !! Please, Please do keep us posted on what fish you add!!! More pics are always nice! :drool:
------------------------------------------:band::band:-------------------------------------------

I got 6 Yellow Labs tonight. They are all about 1" except one that is about 1.5". Also on Sunday I added a few more plants, and removed the pond pumps. In the process of removing the pumps I accidentally knocked over the rocks into the glass luckily it only scratched it. This meant I had to rearrange the rocks, I like the new layout better it provides bigger caves a little more swimming area.

WOOHOO!! :hyper: Congrats!! :drinks: YEAH :- !! Please, Please do keep us posted on what fish you add!!! More pics are always nice! :drool:
------------------------------------------:band::band:-------------------------------------------

As requested some pictures, I forgot to get one of the new layout:

The Fish
FishTank052.jpg

FishTank053.jpg

The plants

Ludwigia(sp?), hopefully the red will come back
FishTank048.jpg

Wysteria, both these are the same type of plant with a different leaf style. Most likely they will both change to the second type

FishTank050.jpg

FishTank051.jpg

That is all for now, hopefully the fish will come out more tomorrow so I can get some more pictures.

------------------------------------EDIT------------------------------------------
The fish al already starting to explore the whole tank, started off in 1 big group but now they are starting to separate and explore individually.

Today I got 6 Pseudotropheus Acei again 5 are about 1" the other is about 1.5". Almost as soon as I put them in the tank they were investigating, and picking at the algae. Hopefully all the algae they are eating can't cause bloat.

Test results from tonight

NH3=0
NO2=0
NO3~20 -I added some NO3 last night as fertilizers for the plants.

Here are some pictures of the new fish and snails

Fish
FishTank074.jpg

FishTank093.jpg

FishTank094.jpg

FishTank097.jpg

FishTank099.jpg

FishTank101.jpg

Here is the clear snail, shortly after the picture it got pulled apart by all the fish...
FishTank072.jpg

And the biggest of the Yellow Labs, she is about 20" tall and 80lbs almost 1 year old. I think she is as interested in the fish as they are her.

Abbie002.jpg

And the biggest of the Yellow Labs, she is about 20" tall and 80lbs almost 1 year old. I think she is as interested in the fish as they are her.
Funny :hyper: Love the sense of humor!!! Sometimes, I think we need more in this world ;) !!!

Awesome fishies....Congrats :D :cool: Glad to hear everything is going well with your tank!!!

:kewlpics:

Today I got 6 Pseudotropheus Acei again 5 are about 1" the other is about 1.5". Almost as soon as I put them in the tank they were investigating, and picking at the algae. Hopefully all the algae they are eating can't cause bloat.

Those are some lovely looking fish. :good: Mbuna graze on algae all day long in the wild, and aquarium algae doesn't have much nutritional value, but it gives them something to do. Since algae is their staple diet, their digestive tracts are made to process it, so you shouldn't worry at all about it causing bloat, it's meaty foods that do that.

Those are some lovely looking fish. :good: Mbuna graze on algae all day long in the wild, and aquarium algae doesn't have much nutritional value, but it gives them something to do. Since algae is their staple diet, their digestive tracts are made to process it, so you shouldn't worry at all about it causing bloat, it's meaty foods that do that.

That is what I thought, but I read some where that just over feeding could cause it.

My fish spend the whole day either begging me to feed them or eating algae, what a hard life.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back