5Gal Paludarium Build Thread

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

That looks like a total mini world in there, brilliant!

So left of centre I love it. Congrats on such a great result!

What a superb, well-mastered set up :hyper:

I am still waiting for my ND Aquarium, and in my work they have those barbaric glass 'starter aquariums' for about 7 quid. I keep looking at them thinking, 'what could I do with that', as I've a spot in my bedroom that it'd fit in.. oh the trouble you've caused, :shout: haha.

Oh and that toad looks adorable!!! I doubt I've ever said that about an amphibian, haha :fun:

Hello again, great setup. If you're still there, I'm just wondering where you got those rocks from? I'm thinking of making a small water feature myself. Thanks!

hi mate what do you feed the toad

im just wondering as im starting a paludarium

thanks mate

bae

rocks I got from the woods, they are just a shale/slate rock. They are normally easily formed into little piece. You can use round rocks too, which will give it a different look. I don't suggest trying to make the wall waterproof. But when you lay the dirt behind the way, run a thin layer of gravel between the wall and the dirt this will help stop soil leaking out from behind the wall.

The toad gets fed mostly chopped up worms. Though when had to leave for a week I moved him to a 10 gallon bin on my floor. The crickets I bought him would attempt to drown themselves within minuets of being placed in the paludarium.

cool thanks also what species is he please

i love the idea of this i think i might
have a go at one in a 18x12x12 i have a small
pump that i can use the look you achieved is just
amazing could you imagine that done in say
a 5x2x2 it would look awesome :hyper:

The toad is a native American toad. He needs to be released soon since he is getting too big. Maybe I will go with a real frog this time... IDK.

I do hope to someday make much larger version of this tank. Something for my caecilians. I would need something over 100g I think. It wouldn't be the exact same... I kinda got it planed out, how exactly to make it IDK yet :rolleyes:. It would be a paludarium, but I think with a less efficient wall that went reverse to this one. It would slope up and be made of round river rocks. With specific burrows made into the land section, but under or even with the water level for the caecilians. Each one would need a air vent.... yeah IDK its years away.

i am going to give this a blast as well
i am on the look out for a 2'x18"x18"
when i find one and get started i will
start posting on here to let you know
also with some photos

Yes this tank is still currently running. Its pretty neglected ATM. I tore down my 2.5 gallon terrarium and condensed a lot of the plants into this tank. It looks pretty crap ATM. The whole reason for doing this was so I could put a carnivorous plant in the 2.5(actually just remembered this). Then things happened :unsure:. I forget what my motivation was but ATM the potted carnivorous plant sits in the center of the paludarium(I'm seeing a trend here :rolleyes: ). The 2.5 is empty and in my closet, but I intend to use it in a few days time for some rainbowfish fry. I need to do some maintenance on this paludarium literately have barely touched it in the last two months. The wall is still there, but its just filled with a hodgepodge of plants I didn't feel like parting with. There is minor hair algae in the water area, which isn't too bad for a stagnant 1 gallon puddle that hasn't had a water change in 2 months. Apart form the algae the water always says crystal clear and no scum or film on the surface. Currently it has no stock except for a few small snails and the normal microorganisms.

Most reactions

trending

Back