5Gal Paludarium Build Thread

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

FIinalllyy! you posted more pictures!

ive been on the edge of my seat anxciously antiipating an update...
and you deliverd! it looks great man, looking forward to more pictures

That is a very promising Scape. Like that way you have built up the slate wall. :good:

I didn't have a clue at what you meant until I saw the finished product. It looks fab :good:

I think it would be awsome if you set your next target a larger version, using normal plants for the top 'waterfall' bit and aquarium plants for the undergrowth, and some fish would look awsome, Seriously good idea which has worked well!

oh wow

ill be honest when i first read it and saw the tank that you were going to use i thought " oh thats going to be naff a waste of time"

im eating my words now :blush: and i apologise for having such litte faith in you( not u as much as the whole project), youve done a fantastic job and i am literally gob smacked!

and i also think that one of those small smoke machines would look fab, really rain foresty

congratulations :) and again sorry :blush:

shelagh xxxxxxxx

LOL I had very little faith as well. You saw the tank after I cleaned it too, there were like 50 death ladybugs in there! The tank hung around for a week before I started working on it. Initially I planned to make the wall out of plexiglass.... that failed completely. Most of the build has been me staring at the tank surrounded by bits of rock and containers of various substrates, just trying to will it to go together like it did in my head.

So! I was working on my waterfall thing. When my land area started to go to mud, I had to give up on it for a day to let it dry out. During this time I removed a lot of the dirt/mud on the land side down to the sand layer. I added a lot more sand an then recapped it with the dirt/mud. I managed to get the waterfall idea to work fairly quickly once it wasn't so muddy. My waterfall is more of a trickle than anything, but I kinda like it more that way. I also built the rock wall a little higher.

I still don't know on inhabitants, I plan to let the tank just run for a about a week before I add anything. I though tadpoles would be a really good choice, so much so I went to go get some from the river. But it appears they have all turned into little toads already. There's the ADF I have, but IDK about him. The water area is about a gallon. Any ideas?

Oh..... this post would of had some pics, but photobucket is temporarily down. So, you have to wait till morning. LOL

edit: (morning= somewhere between 10am-1 central time)

So to do the waterfall/ trickle thing. I cut a little bit off a black garbage bag, and lined my stream bed with it. Tested it to make sure it caught most of the water, then I filled it with tiny rocks. Cut my tubing to length, then hid the end of the airline under some rocks.
P1080794.jpg

P1080795.jpg

P1080799.jpg

So its almost done! I tossed alot of moss in there to help hold the dirt back. I'm still getting some dirt washed into the water area, but I'm hoping that will clear up eventually. Either way though I expect to have some algae issues in this tank, until it gets stable. I still want to work on the plant scape, I haven't touched the water area yet, it definitely needs some plants.

P1080802.jpg

P1080804.jpg

P1080805.jpg

AWESOME! :good: Just one question though, could you not place the pump/filter on its side that way you could hide the pipe under the gravel?

Mike

Omg man thats pretty awesome. :good: Greeeat job. I mean, it looks like a real pond/pond-side/whatever they call it. I would live in there :lol: if I was the size of a tadpole :p! I like the idea of tadpoles, I could see them living there nicely. Too bad they're all toads now. I really wanna try that now! But I don't think I'm good enough.:p

freaking awesome man, i look at this post every day, waiting for you to update it again...

looks absolutly bad ###### man, great job, keep the pictures going...

how about puting a newt in there? they like cold water... but idk if a gallon would be big enough for one...

cant wait for the next set of pictures

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back