2ft Planted Tank Newbie, Bae's First Proper Ish Planted Tank

bae1994

Fact. Bears eat beets. Bears.Beets.Battlestar
Reaction score
well at one point ill be selling on my two small freshwater tanks and will probably end up with a standard clearseal 2ftby1ftby1ft

so i will need
2ftx1ftx1ft tank
some bogwood
gonnaa use sand
drop checker (i think
eco complete (if i can get some)
plant obviously, already got some

ive got
a small flora grow can of co2 and diffuser
single 40 watt t8 starter
air pump

so is there anything else i need

what plants would be sutable

also what stocking

ive already got 4 pygmy cories
1 female honey gurami
but would like some neon tetra
also some cherry shrimp will they all fit

would also like some tia micro crab

howmany neons if any

but the filter media will be a year mature

any thing else i need please say and is the stocking to much
gona make my own external with a small return pump and a like seeled canister of sorts (probs out of glass)

A few things jump out at me there.
Firstly, you won't be able to fit a 40W t8 bulb in the hood of your tank, as it's longer. Opt for 15-24W of light. A 15W t8 is 45cm, this will give you a low light tank. 24W will be a linear t5 bulb at 55cm or a compact t5 bulb at 30cm. 24W will give you a medium-high light tank where growth will be faster so carbon dosing/injection and daily nutrient dosing will be needed.
Also noticed "airpump" you don't need this.
Pygmy cories, Neons, Honey Gourami and Cherry shrimps should be fine. 6 Neons would be good. Not sure on the microcrabs....bit risky with the shrimp.
Hopefully your external will be able to create a flow strong enough to turn over 600litres an hour.

well the starter will power a 4 foot 40watt bulb but i can put a lower watt bulb in so ill probably go for like a

so can i have a like 24 watt t8 bulb of a length that will fit eg 35cm or somthing and dose just co2

also the airpump will just be for effects

so stock will be

4 pygmy cories
6 neons
1 female honey gurami
cherry shrimp
bee snail
probably micro crabs (if they get on with shrimp

but i can put a lower watt bulb in so ill probably go for like a

Nope. The bulb will be ruined and not work.

Can't get 24W t8 bulbs. But you can get 25W t8 bulbs at 80cm.
A compact t5 is your best bit. Here is the controller. Here is the bulb.
Your tank with the compact t5 lighting will need a filter rated 600lph and you'll have to daily dose Tropica Plant Nutrition + and Easylife Easycarbo.
If you only had 15W t8 bulb then you wouldn't have to dose these. Just rely on fish to produce enough N+P for the plants, occasionaly dose some trace elements . You could still dose Easycarbo with this lighting, but you may find that the fish won't produce enough N+P for the plants (Carbon dosing increases the need for nutrients, just like lighting).

ok ill see what tank i get first i suppose

i new there was somthing about the air pump ,i did know that but forgot so ill probably not have a airpump

so i got the tank its two foot by 1ft front to back

and 15 inches top to bottom

right quick questions

1 im going to run a eighteen inch 15 watt bulb what sort of bulb should i go with

like aqau glow or what

and for the substrate i was going to use eco complete and on top some kind of sand does this sound ok

right quick questions

1 im going to run a eighteen inch 15 watt bulb what sort of bulb should i go with

like aqau glow or what

and for the substrate i was going to use eco complete and on top some kind of sand does this sound ok
i would just buy some clay cat litter and cover it in sand...its cheaper and works just as well

i know but id like to use the proper stuff im wierd that way also my lfs sells un branded eco complete sort of stuff will this work

also do you know about the light truck

i know but id like to use the proper stuff im wierd that way also my lfs sells un branded eco complete sort of stuff will this work

also do you know about the light truck
15 watts is fine for most species such as:
vallis
anubias
echinodorus
cryptocoryne
cabomba
riccia

riccia will do best with CO2 injection though

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
sorry yeah im using this

[URL="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Flora-Grow-Co2-Set-F...id=p3286.c0.m14"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Flora-Grow-Co2-Set-F...id=p3286.c0.m14[/URL]

also what kind of bulb shoud i go with like what b ulb eg aqau glow marine white etc etc

also should i go with 20 watts if i can get a 20 watt will i need to add lquid ferts and is this hard
go with whatever strength you want...as for colour temp your looking at 6000-8000k for a nice white colour.
as you increase light you increase ferts...

i would add ferts anyway...i would buy some TPN+ from fluid sensor online along with easy carbo...i wouldnt buy the aerosol CO2

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
ive already got the airosol co2 as the other stuff costs to much

Most reactions

Back