19 Litre Nano Set Up - Mini Community

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not being ridicuclous. It isn't the size of the fish, it's the swimming room and activity that is also taken into account. Sure you could fill your tank with whatever fish you want, and have adequate filtration to keep the water clean, but would the fish be happy? No. Would it be humane? No. So that is why those fish are not suitable for your tank.

+1 for this. A happy fish is a healthy fish.

I don't think anyone questioned the fact that 19 litres is sufficient water for one pygmy cory; just that, as you will also read in those other better(?!) websites, all cory species like to be part of a small group, 6+. And those other websites would not recommend 6+ corys in a 19 litre tank either. My son had six small tetras in a 19 litre until a few months ago, when I decided to learn how to do look after fish properly, research and become a decent aquarist, then I transferred them into my new fishless cycled 100 litre. They survived for a year in the small tank, but within just two months in the 100 litre, they are more active and growing more in two months than in the year they spent in the small tank.

I am not being ridicuclous. It isn't the size of the fish, it's the swimming room and activity that is also taken into account. Sure you could fill your tank with whatever fish you want, and have adequate filtration to keep the water clean, but would the fish be happy? No. Would it be humane? No. So that is why those fish are not suitable for your tank.

I have 7 happy, healthy tanks full of fish, I was just looking if anyone had any succesful ideas or have kept succesful nanos themselves.

I have 7 happy, healthy tanks full of fish, I was just looking if anyone had any succesful ideas or have kept succesful nanos themselves.

I don't think anyone will agree to your stocking quotes then. But at the end of the day no one can force you to do anything, People have shared there thoughts and views for you're tank up to you weather or not you take these into account.

KCB - you have 6 endlers in a tank 6 litres larger?

For QT purposes. They will not be in there forever like you plan with your fish. They'll be in there for 2 weeks (3 tops) then will be moved to a 12 gal which is suitable for their size.

I can see that you are unhappy with our advice, but those are the facts.

I don't think anyone questioned the fact that 19 litres is sufficient water for one pygmy cory; just that, as you will also read in those other better(?!) websites, all cory species like to be part of a small group, 6+. And those other websites would not recommend 6+ corys in a 19 litre tank either. My son had six small tetras in a 19 litre until a few months ago, when I decided to learn how to do look after fish properly, research and become a decent aquarist, then I transferred them into my new fishless cycled 100 litre. They survived for a year in the small tank, but within just two months in the 100 litre, they are more active and growing more in two months than in the year they spent in the small tank.
I referred to websites that gave better advice on stocking not how many to keep. This is standard advice as their behaviour hasnt changed in many years, yet technology has hence stocking levels. Most fish will flourish and grow if placed in an environment with plenty of water as they secrete hormones to inhibit their growth, the more water the less inihbitations. Im not sure many tetras would notably grow though more in 2 months than a year since they are so small. Provided you move fish on to better tanks if they will outgrow there isnt a problem housing small fish in small tanks at the time.

I don't think anyone will agree to your stocking quotes then. But at the end of the day no one can force you to do anything, People have shared there thoughts and views for you're tank up to you weather or not you take these into account.

People have shared their thoughts.

KCB - you have 6 endlers in a tank 6 litres larger?

For QT purposes. They will not be in there forever like you plan with your fish. They'll be in there for 2 weeks (3 tops) then will be moved to a 12 gal which is suitable for their size.

I can see that you are unhappy with our advice, but those are the facts.

I didnt say they will be in here indefinately? I have 7 tanks, this is the 8th. I am not unhappy with peoples advice but it seems to be inappropraite preaching.

This thread should be dropped, You seem to be using old school stocking where you simply don't take in too account that the fish need room to swim instead of being stuffed in a tiny tank.

Ah, correcting another poster's grammar, the universally recognised sign of being defeated in a forum discussion :)

This thread should be dropped, You seem to be using old school stocking where you simply don't take in too account that the fish need room to swim instead of being stuffed in a tiny tank.

Quite the opposite, the tank has a large footprint for a 19L being 19 inches long. I have taken this into account, my fellow forum members seem to be taking an old fashioned approach to things considering it houses a 2 inch X 10 inch X 10 inch filter.

Help me - what's the difference between "stocking" and "how many to keep"?!! The tetras I have are albino black skirts. They didn't grow noticeably while in the small tank. But after two months in the larger tank, I promise you that four of the six have significantly changed in shape, having become broader to the point that I'm now sure I have 4 females and 2 males.

At the end of the day, it's your fish, your tank and your money. You asked for advice on stocking, and were given advice on stocking, take it or leave it, it's up to you.

Ah, correcting another poster's grammar, the universally recognised sign of being defeated in a forum discussion
smile.png

Not at all, a pet hate.

I didnt say they will be in here indefinately? I have 7 tanks, this is the 8th. I am not unhappy with peoples advice but it seems to be inappropraite preaching.

You wanted the tank to enhance a dull area of your living room. Sounds like you plan to keep it there permanently. And we are advising you, like you asked, not preaching.

Help me - what's the difference between "stocking" and "how many to keep"?!! The tetras I have are albino black skirts. They didn't grow noticeably while in the small tank. But after two months in the larger tank, I promise you that four of the six have significantly changed in shape, having become broader to the point that I'm now sure I have 4 females and 2 males.

Seriously - they stayed the same size for a year? Ha!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back