FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrlewis1978

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi guys

I recently bought a 19L nano tank for a dull corner in the living room. I have put sand in, planted bogwood and some crypto, and now I am toying with what to stock in it. Im not sure whether to go shrimp, mini community etc.

Anyone have any ideas?

At the moment I am thinking a pair of rams, a few pygmy corys and 5 or 6 chilli rasbora. 5 minutes ago I was thinking 2 or 3 rock shrimp.

Anyone had a nice set up or good ideas?

Cheers

Sorry, but rams would be a definite no-no in that size. Don't think the pgymy cories would fit either, not sure on the rasbora.

Betta and shrimp?

JENJ - I think a pair of rams would be fine in a 19L even if I didnt have anything with them?
DrSlackBladder - not sure yet, may put one fish out of another tank in to get t going.

JENJ - also Betta will eat small shrimp like cherry (well mine in another tank did), but would probably be OK with rock shrimp or an armoured shrimp.

Pretty harsh on the unfortunate fish chosen for cycling
bye2.gif

Why not get the ammonia and test kit and start it off while you research and decide your stocking plan. Add some mature filter media from your other tank and it'll probably be done in a few weeks. Much kinder......

19L is unsuitable for almost all fish unfortunately. The pygmy's need at least 10 gallons (37 litres), not sure on the chilli rasbora though but they're probably the same. Betta fish are the only ones I know of that are suitable for a small tank. That or shrimp/snails.

JENJ - I think a pair of rams would be fine in a 19L even if I didnt have anything with them?
DrSlackBladder - not sure yet, may put one fish out of another tank in to get t going.

JENJ - also Betta will eat small shrimp like cherry (well mine in another tank did), but would probably be OK with rock shrimp or an armoured shrimp.

Rams need 75 litres minimum for just the one, 150 litres for two. http://www.aquaticco...rmanblueram.php

Suggested size for rams is 20 gallons - over 80 litres. Yes, that's suggested not minimum, but a quarter of that would be far below minimum.

The only thing suitable for a 19L tank that you have mentioned is possibly the Chilli Rasbora and some shrimp. A tank that size is nowhere near big enough for any kind of Ram.
With regards to starting the cycle i would agree with DrSlackBladder...it's probably nothing but cruel to introduce fish into an uncycled filter and tank and hope for the best, do it the safe way by moving across some media from another of your filters and test your water daily.

Terry.

DrSlackBladder - I have used media from other tanks already in the cycling, has been cycling for a week so is all going well. I will be adding a few endlers from my breeding community, so with a few water changes should be ready quickly. I dont post much but im quite experienced.

KCB are you saying you couldnt keep a single pygmy cory in a 19L tank? I think many stocking rules are ridiculous, you have to consider how often water is changed. A friend of mine kept 6 neon tetra in a 10L tank or their desk in their house. They reallylooke dftaer the tank though, and the fish were happy and healthy for years (were changed into a large community tank a few years later).

Agreed, Shrimp. You said you're not experienced so listening to overs about stocking is a great way to start. I find it sick, 6 neons in a 10l? Might as well go tape your dog in a box :/

Looks like the Chilli Rasbora also need at least a tank of 10 US gallons. http://www.theaquari...raras_brigittae

Nope not even one pygmy will be suitable for that tank (they like to be in shoals anyway). And your friends neons would definitely not have been happy, healthy maybe but not happy.

Apologies, I'm sure you have more experience than me. But I've done plenty of research since joining this hobby, and know that fishless cycle is the only humane option. So I guess you've been adding ammonia to cycle the tank before you add the endlers? I've also learnt that only one single cory, of any species, will not be a happy cory....

KCB are you saying you couldnt keep a single pygmy cory in a 19L tank? I think many stocking rules are ridiculous, you have to consider how often water is changed.

I think it's not so much that 19L isn't enough for a pygmy cory, but that you shouldn't have *a* pygmy cory - they should be kept in a group, and 19L isn't big enough for a group of pygmy cory.

But you probably already know this, as you're experienced :)

TECHEN - I said quite experienced.
KCB - dont be ridculous. Have you seen the size of one pygmy cory?

A lot of people on here seem to follow out of date stocking rules and articles on here, if you read the better websites like practical fish keeping, they take into account much more like modern filtration systems and products available. I would never keep anything wildly inappropriate in a 19L tank but im sure you could have a small group of fish, with a 10% weekly water change. The filtration system is bigger than my 2 foot tank!

Apologies, I'm sure you have more experience than me. But I've done plenty of research since joining this hobby, and know that fishless cycle is the only humane option. So I guess you've been adding ammonia to cycle the tank before you add the endlers? I've also learnt that only one single cory, of any species, will not be a happy cory....

No swapped sponge from my Fluval 406 and swapped with the internal of the nano.

KCB are you saying you couldnt keep a single pygmy cory in a 19L tank? I think many stocking rules are ridiculous, you have to consider how often water is changed.

I think it's not so much that 19L isn't enough for a pygmy cory, but that you shouldn't have *a* pygmy cory - they should be kept in a group, and 19L isn't big enough for a group of pygmy cory.

But you probably already know this, as you're experienced
smile.png
Of course. Im sure about 5 would be ok should you want it and looked after them.

I am not being ridicuclous. It isn't just the size of the fish, it's the swimming room and activity that is also taken into account. Sure you could fill your tank with whatever fish you want, and have adequate filtration to keep the water clean, but would the fish be happy? No. Would it be humane? No. So that is why those fish are not suitable for your tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back