10 Gallon Stocking Help?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

No you can't have 2 male dwarf gouramis. They are one of the more aggressive species and in a tank this size one would bully the other to death. And a male/female pair might not work either as males are well known for bullying females if he wants to breed and she doesn't.

And there is still the problem of the iridovirus these fish carry.

All the colours of dwarf gourami are the same species, and they run the same risk of iridovirus. The only other gourami suitable is the honey gourami.
I would not go with the other small gouramis such as sparkling and chocolate till you have more experience as they can be delicate.

It is not a good idea to mix gourami species because of the nature of these fish. All gouramis are territorial and occupy the same region of the tank.
Pearl gouramis are too big for this tank.
Blue dwarf gouramis are at risk of carrying the iridovirus.

Was thinking about possibly a blue ram, is there any other blue/brightly coloured fish that could be used as centrepiece.

Not keen on yellow fish

There are three colour morphs of honey gourami and only one is yellow. The natural colour is a tan-orange male and a silvery beige female. And there is also a red form sometimes called red robin gouramis. It can be quite tricky telling males from females with the red ones.

Rams can be difficult. Wild caught fish, and those with wild caught ancestors only a couple of generations back must have warmer water than most tropical fish.
Bolivian rams need a tank with a bigger footprint.

Your 54 litre tank sounds about the same size as the Eheim Aquastar I had till last year (altered the kitchen and there was no room for it :( ) so I know what fits in a tank this size. And your tap water hardness is also almost identical to mine. There are very few centrepiece fish that will fit in a tank this size. I had pygmy cories, Boraras maculatus and red cherry shrimps (which are now in my 180 litre tank)

Search for pictures of the wild form of the honey gourami. They are not yellow and males in breeding coloration are very beautiful fish, imho.

Another very beautiful and interesting fish would be the Sparkling gourami (Trichopsis pumila).

Don't do two groups. Go for one species and a larger number of it. That is always better, fot the fish and also for the eye of the beholder.

Don't think I can get a sparkling gourami in my 54L?

I'd like a blue fish if possible, how many DG would fit in my tank?

I was thinking a DG as a showpiece and a school of neon tetras, mind you im pretty taken by the paradise fish, but still am a bit lost!

I think a shoal of small fish can be a feature in themselves, you don't have to have a bigger fish.

If you like blue, why not go for a shoal of false neons? They're sometimes called green neons in the shops, but they're really blue :)

Your tank would be big enough for a trio of sparkling gouramis; the paradise fish is, again, a bit big.

If you're really determined to try a dwarf gourami (and I don't blame, you they are lovely), then I'd suggest you stick with a single male and see how it goes; but be prepared for it not to last long :/

Wonder if anyoneā€™s had any success with a blue dwarf lately?

Iā€™ve seen a colleagues 57 litre tank heā€™s got 4 honey gouramis, 6 neon tetras and a couple of guppies, they seem pretty happy together?

Wonder if the footprint for a honey gouramis the same as a dwarf blue?

I wouldnā€™t mind a pair of blue rams, but want something that lasts for at least 4-5 years as Iā€™m pretty sure Iā€™ll get attached to them!

What is your problem with the sparkling gourami?

The honey gouramis are much less aggressive than the dwarf gouramis. Also be aware that there is behavioral variability depending on the individual character of the fish. So what works in one tank might not work with different fish in the next. Our recommendations are for the safe side ;)

If you really like the dwarf I would try to find a good and healthy looking one and go for it.

Btw, none of the fish we talked about, except the neon tetras, will last 4-5 years, even under optimal conditions.

Iā€™m just not taken with a sparkling or honey gourami!

Interesting info though!

I wonder if thereā€™s anything thatā€™s more robust to keep as an alternative to a dwarf gourami or electric blue ram (Iā€™d get a pair in a heartbeat if they lasted a few years) in terms of brightly coloured blue fish?

Iā€™m just not taken with a sparkling or honey gourami!

That is ok. It's your tank and you should like the inhabitants ;)

With bright blue fish for that tank size i am at a loss atm, but there should be some bluish tetra or barb, maybe not for that tank size though.

Furthermore how many times would I need to do a clean out and also water changes?
This got lost on the way. Water changes once a week 30-50%. Clean out never! Clean your filter, if the flow is considerably slower.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back