10 Gallon Stocking Help?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BettaMan2000

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi There,

What would you guys recommend for stocking a 54 Litre tank?

I'd like at least one or two larger fish in there.

I'm currently cycling the tank and hopefully will stock at the end of the coming week!

Would really appreciate some help!

What are the dimensions of the tank, and what is the pH and hardness of your water?

Hi Flutter mouth,

Tank Size:
61 x 35 x 31 cm

Water Parameters:
Ph: 7.5
Hardness: 33mg/L calcium

Btw: I don't want any snails or shrimps.

REALLY APPRECIATE the help!

My thinking is a matched pair of balloon rams, along with two groups of guppies each group having 4-6 fish?

If I can do this I'd be a very happy person!

My thinking is a matched pair of balloon rams, along with two groups of guppies each group having 4-6 fish?

If I can do this I'd be a very happy person!

Two, actually three, issues with this.

First, rams are soft water fish (though commercially raised fish should be kept in water close to that in which they were hatched and raised, which is pretty much impossible to know unless you know the breeder personally), while guppies are moderately hard or harder water.

Second, I would not confine a pair of rams to a 10g. My third point will be no to balloon rams, but nonetheless I will explain about rams so you know. Like most cichlids, rams must select their mate. They bond by doing this, and the bond while not always lifelong can be close to it. Putting any male/female together is not usually successful as the fish may not decide to bond. They may still spawn a couple times, but before too long they decide enough is enough and one of them, usually the female, is killed by the other (male). But a 10g provides so little space, this is not going to be successful.

Third comment is to avoid purchasing balloon rams, or any other balloon fish. These abnormal fish are
selectively bred with midbody swelling and spinal curvature and are notorious for health problems related to swim bladder, digestive, and internal organ deformities, and should be avoided. To acquire them is to encourage continuation of this cruel practice. All of us aquarists need to be responsible when it comes to such practices.

To the initial question, finding "larger" fish for a 10 gallon is next to impossible. This is a tank much better suited to "nano" type fish. I would strongly advise looking at those species. With your soft water they will be easy to find.

Last edited:
Right I am confused (very) I’ve seen multiple tanks 54 litres and smaller way smaller (circa 30 litres) that seem to be doing well for at least a year (that I know of) that have a massive amount of a mixture of neon tetras and guppies (like 20 fish in total, water identical to mine).

Both my LFS and Pets at home, my local pet shops, seem to think even a 4 inch fancy gold fish can be kept with 4 danios With no issues?!

There must be something other than Nano fish and Bettas, I can keep in a 54 litre tank?

What about one balloon ram sized fish and tetras?

I'm happy to try and explain these inconsistencies. And believe me, if I sound condescending, it is not intended as such. This issue comes up a lot on this forum, and all of us have to learn and understand it if we want to be responsible and successful aquarists.

Right I am confused (very) I’ve seen multiple tanks 54 litres and smaller way smaller (circa 30 litres) that seem to be doing well for at least a year (that I know of) that have a massive amount of a mixture of neon tetras and guppies (like 20 fish in total, water identical to mine).

This is a prime example of the comment by Nathan Hill in blue in my signature block. You and I cannot possibly know what is going on inside the fish in terms of the operation of the fish's homeostasis. We can however learn from ichthyologists and biologists what will occur under various situations. Fish placed in situations that are somehow inappropriate for the species will not be in good health, guaranteed. At the very least they will live a shorter than expected lifespan (I pointed out in another thread earlier this week about the normal lifespans of small fish being considerably longer than many think, and this is related--tetras should live years, not months, but not in such conditions), but at the worse they will be subject to all sorts of debilitating and possibly fatal health issues due to the weakened immune system (always a first result of any stress) and general physiological weakening.

Second point on this is advice and who gives it. Several of us on this forum have considerable experience and in some cases biological training. At the very least, speaking for myself, I have researched so extensively over several years that I learned the sources that are reliable and those that are not. Following the guidelines of those true experts means we will have more success with fewer failures, and healthy fish. Which I hope is the goal of all of us.

Both my LFS and Pets at home, my local pet shops, seem to think even a 4 inch fancy gold fish can be kept with 4 danios With no issues?!

Any store that thinks this is a store not to trust, ever. Goldfish are stand-alone, and no goldfish authority will tell you any different. Consider it like a store telling you evolution is a hoax; we know from the indisputable scientific evidence that evolution not only led all species to the present, but it is continuing today with many of our aquarium fish in their habitats, evolving into new species. Trusting the scientific community makes sense; relying on anything else does not, because it is conjecture, risk, experiment...and that is no way to keep living creatures.

There must be something other than Nano fish and Bettas, I can keep in a 54 litre tank?

What about one balloon ram sized fish and tetras?

Early on 10g was mentioned, and I went with that, not noticing the liter was not equivalent, my fault. A 54 liter is 14 gallons (US), and if this is 24 inches (60 cm) in length, that is a different proposition. Though having kept and spawned the blue ram, I would not recommend subjecting it to this small a space, but consider at least a 30-inch (75 cm) 29g tank minimum for the ram pair. Suitable dither fish would work.

EDIT: Just occurred to me that I missed the temperature issue talking about rams previously. This fish needs warmth, 80F or higher. There are many tetras that cannot tolerate this long-term, so another consideration.

Last edited:
I appreciate your help, it means a lot.

My tank is 61cm long btw, as such what fish do you reckon would work?

Furthermore, is there a configuration tool somewhere, that allows you to drop in tank size and fish and it tells you if specific combinations are possible?

Thank you.

There are calculators online, like AquaAdvisor (if I got the name correct), but as several members here will tell you, they have problems that make them somewhat unreliable. For one thing, it is just about impossible to build into the software all the factors that determine how many "fish" can go in such-and-such tank. Fish bio load is only one factor of several, and some others are even more significant to the fish's welfare. Environment--this includes water parameters, substrate material, decor items like wood, rock, etc, live plants, lighting, water current. The fish species--shoaling fish need certain minimum numbers that vary with species, and not providing these will cause the fish to have more impact biologically. The behaviour and inherent traits of the species, esp when considering a community tank--putting the wrong fish together can impact the tank's biological system more. I'd like to see a programmer come up with something to consider all this--but it is essential for healthy fish.

The 61 cm 54 liter tank is basically a 15g long. I had one of these back in the 1980's, and I had a group of five Apistogramma kleei (now A. bitaeniata) and raised a couple of spawns before things started to go wrong. You see, I didn't know then what I know now, that fish surviving for several months meant all was good. It wasn't. But as for the possible fish, Honey Gourami if you want "larger" as this is as large as you can get. I would still go with small sized species though, as you can have more of them which provides an aquarium with more interest. Some aquarists find this better, some may not.

When I had my 10g running as a test--I had a heater, but no filter and no light, it was in a SW window; planted, sand substrate. I had a group of 9-10 pygmy cories, 11 Boraras brigittae, a couple shrimp (arrived in with the cories, not intended), and Malaysian Livebearing snails. This tank ran well for a year, so it proved that we do not really need filters if we follow the science with plants and suitable fish. The lack of a tank light was probably the most annoying aspect, as the plants naturally grew toward the back, and it was not at all easy to see the fish with the light behind the tank. After a year, I moved it away from the window, added an overhead tank light, and a sponge filter. Today this tank houses my pygmy cories that spawn regularly, and I use it to grow out Farlowella vitatta fry now and then.

In your 15g, you cold do something similar (you have soft water), and increase the species and numbers.

Thanks again!

I’m perhaps thinking one dwarf gourami and 8-10 guppies

Guppies need hard water to do well.

One of the smaller tetras or rasboras would be a better choice.

Dwarf gourami is another risk. This fish is still known to carry the iridovirus which cannot be treated. If you have a local breeder and can trust him/her, that's fine; but store bought fish, never, unless you know exactly where they come from. Most are SE Asia and should be left. The Honey is OK from this aspect, and more peaceful too.

And with soft water species as fluttermoth said for tankmates. There are so very many out there.

Hello BettaMan!

I am very glad you get informed before you buy some fish! I am very much agree with all said by Byron especially the part about balloon fish. Anyone should stay away of any artificial breed. Those are never done with intentions and outcomes for the well being of the fish.

A rule of thumb is, that the largest fish in a tank should not be larger than 1/10 of the longest tank dimension. This would mean 6 cm for you.

Provided your tank is set up accordingly (planted, sand substrate important for cories) a lovely stocking would be a pair of honey gourami, a group of Trigonostigma espei (T. hengeli) OR a group of Pethia gelius/aureus (golden dwarf barbs) and a group of one of the smaller cories. Instead of the cories you could also try rosy loaches or dwarf chain loaches. But check for their individual requirements.

Even though, you don't want any snails. I would highly recommend to get ramshorn and malaysian trumpet snails as they are very good for the tank biology.

Hey thanks for that hobby5 much appreciated!

I’m thinking of going down the dwarf gourami either the bright blue or the regular one, I wonder if I can have one of each, probably not as theyre cousins of Bettas.

In addition to either a set of neon tetras or galaxy rasboras or better still a combination of these.

Not sure how many I could keep.

Furthermore how many times would I need to do a clean out and also water changes?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back