Zucchini Question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

omega59

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
can i use a zucchini instead of a cucumber to attract my snails in the tank to the front for removal?? what else can i use besides a cucumber, ty :D

Hi omega59 :)

Sure, it should work well. You could also try yellow squash or any kind of mild leafy green vegetable like lettuce, chard, or spinach.

will it cause problem to my fish or water, i have cardinals and red eye tetras in there only?

I don't think any of those vegetables should hurt your fish. Of course, you will not want to leave it in there long enough to spoil and pollute the water.

Why not try adding a piece during the evening and leaving it there overnight. You should have attracted some snails by morning so you could net it (with the snails) out. The following evening you could put in another slice. :D

I don't think any of those vegetables should hurt your fish. Of course, you will not want to leave it in there long enough to spoil and pollute the water.

Why not try adding a piece during the evening and leaving it there overnight. You should have attracted some snails by morning so you could net it (with the snails) out. The following evening you could put in another slice. :D

This is of course if the zucchini is still there. If I put some in either of my tanks, by morning it'll be pretty much gone.
Most fish love to eat it along with spinach/peas/lettuce.

i did that overnight, and nothing happened LOL. i know i have snails because i've seen 2 of them.

Yeah i give zucchini/cucumber to my BN plec, and I have those little brown pond snails in my tank and they don't go near it. I don't know what else would work other than picking out the visible ones at water changes and watching your feeding to keep the numbers down. Once you've got them they're virtually impossible to get rid of unless you nuke your tank...good luck!

Yeah i give zucchini/cucumber to my BN plec, and I have those little brown pond snails in my tank and they don't go near it. I don't know what else would work other than picking out the visible ones at water changes and watching your feeding to keep the numbers down. Once you've got them they're virtually impossible to get rid of unless you nuke your tank...good luck!

not really, i had about 100 in my tank after adding new plants 2 weeks prior, all i did was add some corys and my snowball pleco (LDA33) and none remeined the folowing week, i just had 6 fat corys and 1 fat pleco. all gone!

ahhahaha, i was thinking of getting some plec's as they can be added with my tetras :)

I hope you picked those two snails out when you saw them. If you don't overfeed your fish, you might be able to get rid of them by hand picking them.

Of course you know I have to caution you to do some research before you buy any plecos. Common plecos (the ones you are most apt to find at a lot of lfs) get really big. I don't know that they eat snails either, but I do know that corys don't.

Most reactions

trending

Back