Zombie Shrimp

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ellena

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Good friday, I bought 2 glass shrimp for my betta tank. After about a week I could only see 1, and then he disappeared for a while and when I saw him again, he didn't look well. Sort of milky appearance to his body and bits of cooked shrimp colour in places, which I thought couldn't be good.
He disappeared again for pretty much the whole of may, so I thought he had died. Then yesterday, I saw him again. He still looks the same, but he was eating.
There is an outside chance there was some copper in the tank, that's why I only bought 2 shrimp. That would have killed him by now though? Does he sounds ill?

Glass/Ghost shrimp,when they die,they will turn a pinkish prawn color. If there was any kind of copper in your tank,it would have killed him off asap.

Just out of interest,is your tank cycled? And what are your water stats?

pH
Ammonia
Nitrate
Nitrite
Temp

Exactly the same thing happened to me when I tried shrimp, I thought copper presence would have killed it much quicker though. Maybe they just don't like your water parameters?

Yes, it's cycled. Been set up months with a betta in before I introduced the shrimp. Stats are amm 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10-20. The copper possiblity was from a previous tank I had used myxazin in months earlier. This tank was set up from brand new and all I transferred across was the fish, the media and some plants.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back