Zoanthid ?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mshollenberger

Reaction score
Hey folks -

Happy Friday night... I have been looking at and really like the Zoanthids (safecrackers rock), specifically at coralfanatics.com

I have a couple questions. Hopefully not dumb.

Here is a pic of one of the sale items

zoo2988lrg.jpg

OK, so lets say I decided to buy something like this. They are obviously attached to the rock. So I have a bunch of live rock in my tank. Each time I buy, I have to add the whole rock? Can I break it or pull them off and place them in other places? I hope this makes some sense.

How fast would a rock like that fill up?

Anyone here buy from this vendor?

Thanks

First of all that's a fantastic looking Zooanthid rock :drool:

When you buy corals most will come attached to a piece of rock (the size shape and type of rock will obviously vary each time), some will come attached to a milliput disc and few will come loose, each time you will have to add the rock will the coral attached to the tank. Some corals can be sucessfully removed and 'planted' where you want them, some will move off the rock they came on and some will have to stay on the rock thay came in on. Generally only the larger corals can be removed from the purchased rock as it's far to fiddly to do with the smaller ones, some its just impossible.

You can break the rock up but this is not advisable as you could damage the coral whilst doing so so it's best just to assess the coral (if you're in an LFS) and visualise where the rock will go, if it won't fit don't buy it, ask the LFS to look out for another coral the same on a smaller rock.

The rate at which corals grow is totally dependant on the type of coral and the conditions its kept in so there is no real answer to that.

Just remember to get some latex gloves as well - you are best not touching Zoa's and it is generally concidered good practise to do a freshwater dip when introduing Zoa's to a system

ps - very very nice zoa :drool: :drool:

Add....remember when you set your tank up that, as above, frags come on rock. Keep that in mind when you aquascape and when determining how low the level of water in your tank will fall when you do a water change. SH

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back