zig zag eel,breeding now no joke

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
And other fish fan the eggs with their fins as well, or eat the eggs that are not fertilized (they will grow a fungus). I guess it would all depend on the parenting patterns of eels.

*jumps up and down waving*

I'M HERE! HELLO?

:p

As I said before, try to read up on peacock spiney eels and see what they do. If possible, you could move some of the eggs (about half) to the parents, and leave half unparented. That way you ay have at least half of them surviving.

Good luck! (again)

Puffer_freak said:
*jumps up and down waving*

I'M HERE! HELLO?

:p

As I said before, try to read up on peacock spiney eels and see what they do. If possible, you could move some of the eggs (about half) to the parents, and leave half unparented. That way you ay have at least half of them surviving.

Good luck! (again)
ok ive done this and i dont know if this is good news or bad but and 3 quarters of the eggs are going brownish,just like my angel fish eggs used to do before they hatched,im getting really excited now,and it seems the female keeps rubbing herself against the eggs its really cool,,ill keep you guys posted
claire

PICTURES?????

Are you ready if they hatch into fry? I think the whole half with half with out the mom is a really good thought. Have you called you local fish soceity? OR at least your lFS ( if they are good). I just thought the soceity might have someone that could help you out. !!!

Keep us in the loop

s

well as of today no eggs have hatched yet :( ,but none have got fungus either,but ill let you know if anything happens

jst one point dolly_daydream, have you thought about food yet? at a guess i would suggest live microworms and possible newly hatched brine shrimp. i doubt very much if the eels would have such a coating that smb7676 mentions, as this is usually the case with large cichlids (Discus, Uaru). If theyre really small there gona need infusoria, so you should really start preparing some food. sorry to spoil all the fun bt i dnt wanna see all the mini-eels starve! good luck! ps brown often does mean theyre advancing in a good way, im not sure if u actually serious about the good news bad news thing! sorry if im tellin u stuff u already knew lol good luck

hi

just wondering what size are the 2 eels??
also what size tank do you have them in??

thanx

hi well im back,and i kinda have good news,,well out of all my eggs only 2 hatched,yes thats correct only 2,the parents inspected them for about 20 minutes then they attached there self to there mother then from nowhere the father came and gobbled them up of her back..i coulda cried,but its not all bad news though the mother is doing the same behaviour as last time rubbing herself vertical up the tank glass this time though im gonna take the male out though...well at least i tried,,im gonna try and take a good picture with my camera phone on the next batch of eggs....and to answer a question that someone asked,there about 9 inches in size
claire

They hatched! :hyper: Even 2 is great news! i know how ticked you probably are about the male eating them, but it sounds as if you may have another chance! At least this time you can properly observe and keep track of all the little nuances that occur!

i have 2 zig zag spiny eels thats ive had for an absolute age,there in a community tank and are very healthy and the tank is fully cycled,now heres the problem this last week ive noticed one of the eels as gone very plump,then i noticed the pair acting strangly they started swimming in the current and wrapping themselves around each other kinda like they was wrestleing,but it was obvious that they weren,t fighting as one was queezeing the other,then 10 minutes later i water 1 of the eels go to the corner of the tank and lay eggs on the tank glass then on the filter then on the other side of the glass i wouldn,t of noticed but she was in the corner standing completly vertical so i went to see what was wrong with her and i watched her with my own eyes lay eggs,,then she goes from corner to corner keepin her eye on the eggs and so on,,so you say what is the problem,,well i went to google to see how i hatched the eggs and rear the young only to find it say that zig zag eels have never been bred in the aquarium is this right,is it possible that im the only one to do it without even trying heres a photo of one of them when they was young there quite a bit bigger now,
th_f05_peacock_eel.jpg

so what do you think as this been done before
did you ever have any young ????

Hi Monty and welcome to the forum :)

Don't expect an answer because this thread was made in 2005 :)

Most reactions

trending

Back