Zebra Danios

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

tank212

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I just got a group of 7 zebra danios and they are really cool. I was looking at a link someone posted about zebra danios being aggressive towards fancy tailed fish. Will they nip my guppys? So far I have seen no aggression towards other fish from them and I've had them a couple days. They only chase each other with little nipping.
If they lay eggs will the fry try to hide in plants or something? I wouldn't mind raising some fry from them that would be cool and would be my first raising the fry of egg layers.

I've never heard of danios being aggressive. Active, yes. :nod: They are very lively and do like to chase each other...

I cycled my tanks with them (hardy little buggers!) before I knew better, and have housed them with various fish including killis and bettas. Never any issues. That's just my .02!

I tried ZDs with guppies once, all the guppies ended up dead
due to fin rot after being hharrassed by the ZDs.
I would not keep both together again.

Aggression in ZDs is normerly caused by the following
1) too small a group (5 min)
2) too small a tank (24l x12w x? min)
3) both of the above

Or just random moments of hyperactive nastiness...

I've never heard of danios being aggressive.

LOL, tell that to the one eyed swordtail... I'd say guppies are a no way, gppies aren't exactly hardy anyway, the stress of fast moving nippy things wouldn't do them any good.

Well my tank is 55gal and they do have alot of swimming space up top cause most of the other fish swim in the mid or close to the bottom. So far so good I will monitor them. If I do have to take them out whats the minimum size tank for a school of 7?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back