zebra danios with vertical stripes?

juniorcat

Reaction score
i went to the petshop today and saw these fish that were supposed to be zebra danios (they were labeled the chinese name for zebra danios), but they are about half the size of the zebras i have and have vertical instead of horizontal stripes on a silvery white background?? they were so cute, but i don't know if they are really zebras... and if they'll get along with the zebra danios i have now??

if they are what I am thinking of juniorcat, they aren't zebras but a type of barb, can't remember the exact type but alot of petshops call them "feeders" because that's what alot of people use them for. I own 4 of em which I haven't yet put into my signature because as I said above, I can't remember the name of them lmao. I don't use mine to feed other fish though, they are strictly pets. If you have any bigger fish who like a good feed of smaller fish though you'd be best keeping them in another tank. I had an unfortunate accident with some a couple of months ago, kinda put a redfin that was big enough to eat them in the same tank and lost two of them and a cherry barb (oops). I thought the redfin was as yet too small to eat them, but was sadly mistaken. I will try to find up the proper name for you if I can, but if it's what I think it is, it's defanantly a type of barb. Hope at least some of this is of some use to ya :)

I found the name of what I think your mystery fish is juniorcat, it could be Puntius cumingi, common name is Cummings Barb, also known as a china barb. I have a couple of these and they're a fairly placid fish. Mine do fine with all their tankmates, including 4 leopard danios. As I mentioned above though, if you have bigger fish whom are agressive then you may want to keep an eye on them so they don't accidentally become someone's lunch!

Most reactions

Back