Zebra Danio

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fatelerror89

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a Female Danio in my tank and im sure she is about to lay eggs and need advice

20130311_163145_zpsbd46126a.jpg

You don't need to do anything, beyond the usual good care, unless you want to keep the and raise the fry, in which case you'll need to set up a separate breeding tank.

did think about keeping them but if i need a another tank i have not really got the space. can i not use one of those breeding nets you put in the tank ?

You could, if you happen to spot any eggs.

Don't forget that danios are egg layers, not livebearers, so you need a pair to produce viable, fertile eggs. Danios spawn by swimming very fast through plants, and they wouldn't be able to do that in a net.

true point they wont be able to do that so i just leave it and maybe get a tank next time she wants to lay eggs

i jealous i i have are males so u are lucky to get females but u could get one of those one gal tanks thry take up practicly no room i should know i have one i gave away an old radio/karioke/tapeplayer (not CD just casset tapes) and i put the one gal were it used to be under my night stand next to my bed but the downside is there is no builtin filters or room for any but truth be told u don`t need any as the fry will eat anything off the bottem the only thing u need to do is a waterchange (tip males of this fish have gold and blue strips upon closer inspection) also u wont need to add food for the first 3days of being hatched most likly don`t need any until 1 week has passed so that the fry are freeswimming and used all there leftover yolksac so good luck if u got any males or else no livespawn just infertile eggs/food
hope this helps from my exp
yours truly
Cole McCallister

masterfish said:
i jealous i i have are males so u are lucky to get females but u could get one of those one gal tanks thry take up practicly no room i should know i have one i gave away an old radio/karioke/tapeplayer (not CD just casset tapes) and i put the one gal were it used to be under my night stand next to my bed but the downside is there is no builtin filters or room for any but truth be told u don`t need any as the fry will eat anything off the bottem the only thing u need to do is a waterchange (tip males of this fish have gold and blue strips upon closer inspection) also u wont need to add food for the first 3days of being hatched most likly don`t need any until 1 week has passed so that the fry are freeswimming and used all there leftover yolksac so good luck if u got any males or else no livespawn just infertile eggs/food
yours truly
Cole McCallister
would this be ok to put them in or is it to small http://www.petsathome.com/shop/pals-pen-medium-4.4-litres-by-living-world-89353?cm_re=barilliance-_-cross%20sell-_-product%20details?cm_re=barilliance-_-up%20sell-_-product%20details 
 looks like a i have a couple of males in there :D  and would i feed them after the 1st week ?

fatelerror89 said:
yours truly
Cole McCallister
would this be ok to put them in or is it to small http://www.petsathome.com/shop/pals-pen-medium-4.4-litres-by-living-world-89353?cm_re=barilliance-_-cross%20sell-_-product%20details?cm_re=barilliance-_-up%20sell-_-product%20details 
 looks like a i have a couple of males in there
biggrin.png
 and would i feed them after the 1st week ?
yes as i have mine in a one gal  food would be most proper with the 1 week over as the yolksacs would be gone and then they would be hungry that is with the egglayers livebearers on the other hand would be the moment they are born

How long does it take for her to start laying her eggs ? it has been two weeks now and she is still full with eggs 

fatelerror89 said:
How long does it take for her to start laying her eggs ? it has been two weeks now and she is still full with eggs 
do you have any plants that cover the bottem cause they spawn in plant thickets and it should be spontanous otherwise might be no babies and will go away in time or she could just be chubby but because of active lifestyle in this fish it is not likely

Am I the only one thinking that one gallon is too small for danios? Even for breeding? They need at least a ten gallon for BREEDING they need something bigger to live in like a twenty gallon. Just saying.

Tek oot.

No Zebra Danios are incredibly active fish, they would be too stressed in a tank that size.

Tek oot.

I have left them in my rio 125 and there is plants at the bottom of the tank she just stays swimming round the top

They are schooling fish so u have to remember that thaey feel comfy with groups of five or more so u might want to add more males this also makes sure that as many eggs are fertilized as possible and the male may have to be primed for mating to sorry I forgot to mention that part :!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back