Zebra Danio

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

phatch

Reaction score
Hi,

This is my first visit to the site.
I have a 60l community tank with 2 Sucker Loaches, 3 Zebra Loaches, 1 Peach Spot L Plec, 1 Leopard Plec,
1 Polka Dot L Plec, 3 Neons, 4 Silver tips & 7 Zebra Danios.
The tank is running really well but one of my Danios has a sunken stomach & doesn't look to happy.

Can any one advise me on what it might be & what i can do.

Many thanks

Paul

Hi Paul and :hi: to the Forum!

How old are your fish? I used to keep Zebra Danios and as they got older they also got skinnier - those that didn't develop dropsy that is!

Also, the males of the species have hollower bellies than the females, who can look quite plump in comparison. Hower they tend not to be sunken as such unless they're ill.

Has he been bullied by the other fish at all? What does his poo look like?

It could be that he has internal parasites - in which case you need to quarantine him ASAP and treat both tanks with a suitable product.

Please check in the Cyprinids Section for further help.

Hello Ami,

Thank you for replying.

The little fella has always been skinny, a few of the others are quite plump, just one other who's slim.
he's struggling to swim properly but is more active than yesterday.

I'm afraid i don't have a quarantine tank so i'm going to keep a real close eye on him.
I did clean my Ehiem ecco filter two days ago & do a small water change, all of the tests are ok,
the tank temp is around 81c but i do have an internal filter with a good oxygen flow.

He's around 6 months old, i haven't seen his poo yet & only occasionally do i see one of the silver tips chasing the Danios.

I guess i need to think about taking him out or risk anything spreading to the other healthy fish.
Hi Paul and :hi: to the Forum!

How old are your fish? I used to keep Zebra Danios and as they got older they also got skinnier - those that didn't develop dropsy that is!

Also, the males of the species have hollower bellies than the females, who can look quite plump in comparison. Hower they tend not to be sunken as such unless they're ill.

Has he been bullied by the other fish at all? What does his poo look like?

It could be that he has internal parasites - in which case you need to quarantine him ASAP and treat both tanks with a suitable product.

Please check in the Cyprinids Section for further help.
:)

Hi again Paul - I think you've got 2 males and the rest are female.

I had white tips in with mine too, along with Black Widow and Red Eye Tetras, the white tips liked to chase everything in the tank, so he might just be a little stressed. :)

You should get a quarantine tank if you can, most pet supply stores will sell small plastic tanks for under a £5, and you can buy an Interpet Internal Air Filter, which runs of an airpump, for the same price.

Hi Ami,

I think you could be right, two of my smaller Neons hide from the silver tips too.
I'm afraid the Danio died, although i did treat the tank with some Anti internal bacterial treatment.

Do you mean one of the plastic tanks that you float in your main tank, of one that is seperate from the main tank.

I like this forum, it's been very useful & friendly.....thank you!

Enjoy your evening :)

Hi again Paul - I think you've got 2 males and the rest are female.

I had white tips in with mine too, along with Black Widow and Red Eye Tetras, the white tips liked to chase everything in the tank, so he might just be a little stressed. :)

You should get a quarantine tank if you can, most pet supply stores will sell small plastic tanks for under a £5, and you can buy an Interpet Internal Air Filter, which runs of an airpump, for the same price.

I meant a separate tank Paul. Don't use those internal breeder traps even for breeding fish, they're too small and too stressful to the fish.

Sorry you lost your Danio, but it's better not to be in pain.
:(

OK Ami, I'll purchase a small tank to sit beside my main one.
I still have six left, & they all seem fat & healthy so it isn't all bad.

Can i ask you another question?
My Nitrate level often reads high, over 75mg/l.
All the other tests are spot on.
My questions is although it's high the tank has no alge & apart from the Danio all the fish all seem fine. I have been doing a 25% water change every week. tesing & treating it before use + i use Am-Quel to lower the level, not all the time though. can you advise me on this. seems strange that it is often high yet doesn't seem to effect the tank/fish?

Really appreciate your time.

I meant a separate tank Paul. Don't use those internal breeder traps even for breeding fish, they're too small and too stressful to the fish.

Sorry you lost your Danio, but it's better not to be in pain.
:(

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back