zebra danio sucked up filter

bookseller

Reaction score
This morning I was missing one of two zebra danios I have in a cycling 10 gal tank. After determining that he (or his dead carcass) was not in the tank I examined my power filter and sure enough, there was his remains stuck at the bottom of my power filter under the filter itself.

The filter tube has a "guard" on it but obviously the holes are big enough for small fish to get through. Is there some small plastic netting available to put around the guard? How do fix without impeding too much water flow up the tube?

It's bad enough losing fish to high ammonia and etc while cyling but to lose one in the filter? That's sad.... :sad:

Cut out a piece of pantyhose and wraped it around the intake of the filter, then keep it on with a rubber band. Most particles will still be able to get through, but some won't so either change the pantyhose every once in a while or clean the outside with a gravel cleaner while doing a water change.

I do this and it seems to work fine for me, though I do it to keep fry from being sucked up. Your probably don't need it as fine as me.

I used a persil wash bag as the holes are large enough to let larger bits and bobs to pass through You will need to cut it down to size and use a rubber band.

Caz

Are you sure your fish didn't die because of other reasons like high ammonia, etc? Because he may have just ended up stuck to the filter after death. I've lost one neon that was found in the intake tube, and also found one of my tiger barbs stuck to the outside of the filter. I think we underestimate their suction power!

Kevy and Val: the cheesecloth/hosiery idea is great! I'd not thought of that. Thankfully, I don't have a problem with fish getting taken into the filter, but it does get clotted with plant bits. That's a great way to minimize that.

as i said a healthy non fry fish will not get sucked up the filter, i would only use it if you have fry. hey your from mn?cool im from around farbult, northfield soulth of minniapolis

Most reactions

Back