AquaOne AquaStyle trickle filter mod/question

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Cjam

Reaction score
Hi all

I recently got back into the hobby with an aquaone AquaStyle 620 tank (90L capacity).

I had my reservations of going with what I thought would be a runty little filter (when I was into the hobby 15-20 years ago it was either external canister or get out haha)... But either it's doing the job or the plants are, as I've not detected any ammonia nitrite or nitrate beyond a .5 ppm nh3 spike on the first day.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone else has ever looked at these filters and seen what I'd have said is a massive flood risk, and what I think would be an easy fix.

Basically the power head sucks up on the left, dumps the water on some media, which then channels underneath to the right before bubbling up through another set of media before spilling over the side and into a small well where it's about 50/50 straight back into the tank or into an elbow to give you some directional flow.

I look at the throughput of the power head, and if I put my finger over either of the outlets, the water starts to pool up. The remaining outlet isn't big enough to allow all the water out. I've chickened out of keeping my finger on the outlet to see where the water goes, but given the design my guess is out the back and on to the floor.

My mod/idea is that right next to the outlet well, there's a walled off box with a hole that I think was meant to seat a heater or something. The wall is too high to be an emergency overflow, but I wonder why they didn't put a groove in the top so that it could be?

I can just see a snail deciding to park itself over one of the outlets and causing a flood....
20230207_204528.jpg

20230207_204605.jpg

I should add that the colour of the filter wool is down to not washing my dragon stone quite as well as I thought I had!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back