Zebra Danio Missing Tail

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Biffle16

Reaction score
Good morning!...My name is Alan and I am new to the forum, I have a had 1 10G tank running for about 3 years with Goldfish from the local county fair. Very suprised thay are all still swimming!....for the last year I've had Neon Tetras and Zebra Danios and African Dwarf frogs all in the tank. However I have removed all but the Goldfish, they actually are aggressive and now very large. I now have a second 10G tank running, about 3 months now and I also have 2 Guppies, male and female which 2 weeks ago she had baby fry. 5 have survived and are doing well. The frogs have since died, but the 2 Neon Tetras, Danios, Guppies all get along very well as far as I can tell until this morning. The one Danio is now missing his tail completely....very concerned I have a night time assasin.....Any thoughts?

:blink:

Hi and welcome! :good:
As for the danio tail problem. I would suspect the dwarf frogs as they could easily snap at a tail. I would wait for more reply's though.

Actually the frogs are gone, they died shortly after changing tanks with them.

How many Zebra Danios have you got in there? Its quite common for the smaller danio species to get quite nasty with each other when in small groups of less than six, as I saw late last year with my Pearl Danios (I ended up buying another six to make a group of ten), they become almost territorial with each other and sometimes start nipping other tankmates too.

One of my Pearls ("Mr Stumpy") was found with pretty much no tail left at all, upside down behind the Fluval U4 filter in my 620T before Xmas, when I had a group of ten temporarily in there. I had very little faith he would survive the night, but I moved out all his "friends" so that he just had my little Filament Glassfish for company. With good food (including more treats of defrosted bloodworm than normal) and ~10% water changes every one or two days, Mr Stumpy regained most of the upper half of his tial fin within three weeks, at which point I reintroduced him to the group in the Rio240, where he made a complete recovery just before "mussels" collected them the other weekend to join his 6x2x2 tank (which now includes ~25 Pearl Danios).
Going on the above, I think your Zebra could recover, but this is more likely in a quarantine tank by itself.

I believe Guppies like sub-tropical temps (18-20C) like Zebra Danios, but without looking at a profile I suspect the Neons need ~24C. Keeping the Guppies and Zebras in water higher than 20C will drastically increase their metabolism, making them "greedy eaters" (so they excrete more waste) and hyperactive (they will die of old age before their time).

In addition, many of the small danio species like Zebras are very active fish for their size, they are far too active for a 10g tank! You could really do with buying at least a 3-foot [ideally 4=] tank for them (Clearseal range is good price at Pets At Home for new tank, or scour Ebay ads local to your location). They love current too, 6-8x the water volume per hour through a filter and/or powerhead.

Thanks for the input, I have 2 Zebra Danios, 2 Neon Tetras, 2 Guppies, 1 male and 1 female, 5 Guppy fry about 2 weeks old. I was amazed that the Guppy Fry survived without being eaten. I do not at this time have a 3rd tank. Would love a larger tank but the wife has out voted me and the kids so far.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back