The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

lilhurleybunny

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Swimmin around in the Chesapeake Bay ;) in Marylan
Just a couple of questions ^_^:

I was told I am overstocked in my 10 gallon :huh: (see my signature to see what fish I have). I was asking because my otto died :byebye: and I'm looking to get another one (or two). However, if I'm already overstocked then it's out of the question. :sad:

Also, I have read around and everyone says that you should have 3+ corys. Well I was thinking of getting only 1 more, will 2 be okay? Will they befriend each other :wub: ? Getting one also depends on, again, if I'm overstocked already. 8)

And my final question is, would a dwarf gourami get along with another kind of gourami? I feel bad because mine is kind of aggressive towards my other fish when they get near (he chases them away) and he spends his days swimming back and forth across the front of the tank staring at his relflection and I guess, chasing it and trying to get to it :/ . I had another gourami just like him but they got territorial so I had to give the other one away. I'm just wondering, if I got a different kind of gourami, would this stop Frodo from being so aggressive and would he get along with another kind of gourami? :shifty:

All advice and answers are welcome :thumbs: !

Thanks guys! :D :wub:

Your 10 Gal isn't overstocked! Look at my sig if you want to see an overstocked 10 gal. I've really got to sought mine out actually. Its hard specially when my mum keeps on wanting to keep "The guppy with the *insert colour here* tail" All the guppies are going tommorow though.

who told you that your tank was overstocked? :huh:
loco amigos! :S
they don't know what they are saying :no:
corydoras only get about 2" (3 tops for the fancier species)
and your dwarf gourami will be 2.5"
then your guppy will stay 1.5"

that means you only have around 8" in your tank once they are all full grown
there really is no rule of how much can be in your tank
experienced fish owners know how to balance their tank according to aggression, size, waste production, etc.
for a newer fish owner there is a sort of "unofficial rule" of 1" of fish per gallon
you have a 10 gallon therfore you can have roughtly 10" fish

so in answer to your questions
#1 you are not overstocked
#2 you CAN get your cory a buddy (1 is better than none ;) )
#3 it wouldn't hurt your tank to go a bit over and get an otto (they only get 1.5") just as long as you keep up regular water changes (about 15% a week) and don't overfeed)

and lastly your gourami..........
oh boy......... :S
gourami are for "large community tanks" as in larger fish due to their potentially semi-aggressive temperment
in other words your guppies should not be kept in the same tank as a gourami....
guppies are somewhat slow fish with a big colourful "target" for a tail
they should not be kept with anything aggressive
and gourami need at least a 20gal and some people will argue with me that that is even too small.

you could tone down the agression by planting your tank well but i would find him a new home
i know its hard cause you get attached quickly and their so pretty but its not a balanced tank
OR, you could use this as an excuse to get another tank....... :shifty:

Sorry for such a late response :blink: !! I've been pretty busy.

Anyway, thanks Pointy Kitty for all the information! You're very informative :D . I'm so glad I'm not overstocked because that means I can get a couple more fish!! :D and this Friday I'm hopefully going to get another cory :wub: .

And about my gourami..I think I'll just get lots of plants and ornaments so that my other fishes can leave him alone because they will be too preoccupied with the new plants and ornaments :lol: . I don't really have any room for another tank anywhere so I think I'll just see how he does like he is, thanks for the tips anyway though.

THANKS AGAIN!! :thumbs: :wub:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back