Yoyo loach killing spree

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Charlottef007

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a 320L tank which I have had since May last year with no issues. I have 8 yoyo loaches, 6 black phantoms, 1 male guppy and 10 neon tetras. I test the water regularly and change the water on average every 10 days around 30%. Temperature is 26 degrees.

One of the loaches is twice the size of the others and seems to be the dominant one. Last week he grabbed hold of a male guppy and killed it, leaving me with 4 more. Yesterday, I noticed that literally overnight 3 more guppies had gone. I changed the water and hovered the substrate and found no bodies. Just now, he has attacked and eaten a neon tetra.

I fed them a mix of flakes and wafers this morning so surely he can't be hungry?

What do I do? I could take him out and put him in a separate tank but I don't think it would be fair to have him live on his own. Or maybe one of the other loaches would become dominate and start killing too?

I could move the tetras into a separate tank but then would he start killing the black phantoms?

The big loach is the female and she is hungry. You need to feed them more.
I used to feed mine 2-3 times a day with frozen but defrosted prawn, fish, squid, bloodworms, brineshrimp, mysis shrimp, daphnia, and various bottom feeding pellets.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back