Your Comments Please!

DaveW

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Well, here's a picture of my tank.

tankc.jpg

Since just before christmas I have upgraded my lighting, brought pressurised co2 and started Ei routine(of a kind).
I still trying to get a balance that I can keep, so I still get a bit of algae. I not to concerned about that at the moment, as I will be stripping the tank down soon to replace the sand with a fine gravel mixed with laterite.
But I am thinking more on the lay out as I'm not 100% happy with it. I would appreciate your views and comments to help me work out which way to go.

Cheers.

:thumbs:

Well, here's a picture of my tank.

tankc.jpg

Since just before christmas I have upgraded my lighting, brought pressurised co2 and started Ei routine(of a kind).
I still trying to get a balance that I can keep, so I still get a bit of algae. I not to concerned about that at the moment, as I will be stripping the tank down soon to replace the sand with a fine gravel mixed with laterite.
But I am thinking more on the lay out as I'm not 100% happy with it. I would appreciate your views and comments to help me work out which way to go.

Cheers.

:thumbs:

Your tank is beautiful!!!!!

Dude I remember this tank from a while back?!

You certainly know how to make your plants grow! I love the lilys and cryps, they add a real depth of colour to the whole scape and am also very envious of the planted wood arch.

The only thing I would say is that I prefered it when you could see under the arch, the anubias under there were cool, its not often you see a tank with wood like this, so think you should make a bit more of a feature out of it?

If you dont want it I'd be happy to take it off your hands? ;) Im in oxford not far away, hint hint :D

Sam

PS I see from the profile you're into bonsia, how long you been doing that? Im hope to get into that as my next hobby.

Hi Dave.

your tank looks fantastic. i really love the layout beautiful planting at the middle sand rear. okay so the forground is a bit bland but if your stripping it then it'll do for now. the bogwood,anubias and stem plant arrangement looks really striking. the lilly looks a little over bearing but they tend to do that when the leaves get that big. pull out the biggest leaf at the base and you should get some smaller new leaves sprouting in no time.

top marks mate it looks great, it'll be great to see it once you've got the laterite in and get a carpet of some kind going. well done

Well ......... thank you all very much! :blush:
I think I'll have to try and look at it with fresh eyes.

Themuleous, I must say that I didn't notice the arch way being block up. After at the picture that I posted, it has lost a lot of depth now. That's one thing I'll have to look at. I'll keep you in mind if I ever decide to
remove the wood!
As for the bonsai, I've been practicing the art for a few years now, and still love it. I haven't got any top quality trees, but I have got quiet a few at different stages.

Jim, I have got some dwarf 4 leaf clover, but it has been fairly slow. I'm glad that the laterite will get it going. As for the lily, I have 2 plants in one spot and prune out at least 2 big leafs a week. So I might take one out, or possibly move it to the back?

Thanks again!

Your tank is very lovely. I especially like the background plants behind the wood arch, they are very beautiful. What is the background plant on the left, near the lily with the long, palm-like leaves? I like it very much. I've seen it in other tanks and I think I would like it for a future tank.

Thanks.
I beleave the plant you on about lljdma06, is Eusteralis Stellata. It needs a good bit of light, other than that it's grow pretty easy.

I know I said that I wasn't concerned about tha algae, but, what causes green sopt algae. It just seems worse this week and I don't know why.

Thanks.
I beleave the plant you on about lljdma06, is Eusteralis Stellata. It needs a good bit of light, other than that it's grow pretty easy.

I know I said that I wasn't concerned about tha algae, but, what causes green sopt algae. It just seems worse this week and I don't know why.

too much light and not enough co2? but thats just a guess, love the tank though, im going to grow a few lilly's myslef soon.

Fish gasping for air at the surface of a tank usually implies chemical poisoning or toxicity, the most common of which are:
-ammonia
-nitrite

The recent addtion of Interpret seems to lend great suspicion to this as the cause. I can't seem to find what the active ingredient is. I would continue large water changes and aerate as you are doing. Adding carbon is not a bad idea either. SH

Thanks.

A nice looing tank mate

A lack of phospahte or excess silica in the water, whats your water stats?

Simon

If anyone is wondering what steelhealr is on about, I have a bad problem last night. This is the thread.

Simon, your probably right with the lack of phosphate. I over dose a few weeks ago, and since then have kept it low. As for the stats ............. well, I have just striped the tank and have not done any tests yet. To tiered at the moment, so I'll do it in the morning. Mind you, I think I have a mini cycle on the way after the strip down.

I have changed the sand for gravel, pruned the plants a little and removed the moss to open the arch again(cheers Themuleous).

newtank6.jpg

I prefer the gravel a lot more than the sand, and with the laterite my plants should grow better than ever. Removing the moss has made the world of difference. Not only has it open the arch making the wood more of a feature, nut it has let the light through. I have replanted the dwarf 4 leaf clover in the front, which hopefully will make a nice carpet. I think I will possibly remove one of the lilies as I believe two is a little to much.
I have been thinking of changing the Polysperma for something different, has anyone got any ideas? I would like to stay with a stem plant but with smaller leafs.

Most reactions

Back