Yippee I Know I Have 2 Male Blue Acara

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

star4

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
I recently bought some baby blue acara to grow up as I was looking for a nice male. They are now just about 2". Cleaning out the tank last night I now know I have definately 2 male & 2 female, the only trouble is I am not sure which 2 are the males as I didnt see who laid the eggs!! :hyper: :lol:

drinks.gif

More fish breeding goes on in your house than in the Amazon!

Great isnt it, I bet if I was to breed fish propperly to sell on I wouldnt get a single batch of eggs :lol:

This morning I have 2 sets of blue acara eggs, 2 sets of Thorichthys Elliotti eggs and one batch of wrigglers and a set of Geophagus Brazilliensis wrigglers!!

Typical 6 days on from finding eggs which I thought had all been eaten by the bn or gn as I had seen no sign of the eggs or babies. I find tonight not 1 set of fry but 2 :hyper: They must have moved the newly hatched fry into the java fern as I hadnt seen them till they were out in the open tonight, rough count I have around 100 blue acara :lol: I doubt any will survive much longer though :sad:

Blue Acaras will spawn every 3 weeks don't worry you will have lots of chances to raise some fry. I hope your pair get along better then mine. The female stressed the male out so much he passed away but my female is now 3 years old and 4.5". They are nice fish glad you finally got some real blue acaras. I found with sexing the males have a more boxy head and the females have more of a slope if that makes sence. Also the females will get nice and fat before they spawn.

Thanks Snowflake, looking at them I can actually see what you mean about the head shape, I have been looking at fins and general body shap. I think they are over fed as they all seem plump :lol: . Just squirted in some cyclops for the fry and got attacked by both sets of parents. Trouble is the parents have moved from either end of the tank to both almost the middle where all the mass of java fern is. Going to have to keep an eye on this one make sure the parents dont start squabbling as I can see all the fry joining into one big group!!

Most reactions

Back