YIKES! How does it work?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

nene

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I recently got the biggest tank I have ever had to date- a 29 gallon. I also got a manufactured stand to go with it. Previously I had used strong tables, dressers etc. To my surprise the wood cabinet has a strong top rim but nothing in the middle! I figured the manufacter know what they were doing but as I filled up the tank sitting on the stand I kept waiting for the middle of the tank to rupture and go crashing to the floor. How is all this water weight supported by the sides with no support under the glass on the bottom? Will someone out there who knows the answer to this reassure me. I am still suspicious of this tank and stand. I know this is probably a stupid question but humor me. (Please) :/

that is how all stands are made. You see, the tank is only supported by the side rims, so the stands dont need something to support the middle. to them, it is just extra wood wasted for them.

I know this is probably a stupid question but humor me. (Please)

This is an absolutely great question! :nod:

You don't need the middle support for the stand until you get to 75g or so. I've seen 55g stands with them and seen some 55's w/o, but for the most part, I'd only get scared if a 75g tank or above came w/o a middle support.

I once had 344 tanks set up. (Ok, well, not just me, but me and 2 other buddies, but I took care of them) and I would say 150-200 of them were 29g and not once did we ever use a center brace on a 29g stand and we never once had a problem.

Now this was glass tanks. If you have plexi, then that's a different story.
You need the whole bottom covered and even a top center brace for the aquarium or it will bow once you get to the bigger aquariums.

I hope I've alleviated your stress at least a little bit. :)

I had a real brinstorm on this a few years back. I changed my diet to donuts, bugers fries, and ice cream. Along with minimal physical activity I soon acheived my goal of 280lbs. So now when we are trying to decide if we can put a new tank on some kind of structure, I merely sit on it to assure it will take the weight of any tank up to 29 gallons... :lol: :lol:

Most reactions

Back