Yes,you DO need to do weekly water changes. Don't go for the bad reasoning put out there...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Stan510

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Seems like its a fad to say "You don't need to do weekly water changes" Well,no and you also don't need to feed your fish everyday or live foods or...but let me tell you, things are BETTER with weekly water changes,well fed fish and live foods if possible.
I mean have you read anybody say weekly water changes were bad for their aquarium? No,you haven't.-lol.
I mean the idea of not having to do water changes only works for very hardy fish,or a very light load of fish and even then,a partial change would help. You show me an aquarium that has gone weeks with no water change and I say to that "20% a week would be better". And it would be.
Your filter isnt likely to make water as pure as what you drink. You could use carbon and with UV lights and a great sump filter have high quality water...and yet, a weekly water change is still good. I mean you have to clean the tank about once a week anyways..so your great filter and plants makes it ten percent. But that 10 % helps.
Like nature does..replace old water with new and she does it 100% of the time.

I change my water once a month in my 10 gallon nano reef and every thing is happy and growng, even my sps.

As soon as I posted? I saw that on the front page of TFF. Sort of redundant I guess..but for some reason people are extolling water changes as not needed at all. Yes,if you have a jillion gadgets you can make no water changes at all. Just as a water agency turns toilet water into drinking water three hours later...

Of course our fishes need us to waterchange.
You'll probably make a face... my 30 L Betta tank got its weekly only 10% waterchange for 7 years ! No nitrite, never more than nitrate 5 mg/l, no ammonia.
pH 6.6 (just before lights on) to 7 (just before lights off).

Sounds fine. 10% for a single Betta in a 7 gallon is good. It adds up to dozens of water changes over the years. Better than some yellow tinted water that does not seem to make fish or plants happy.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back