Yellow Water

jeffp

Reaction score
I have had a tropical fish tank set up for just under 3 month so know very little so far but recently I had to treat tank for white spot which seemed to clear up but the water has started to turn yellow and strange smelling, my fish have started to die again but there are no marks on them to say why they died. lots of small snails seem to have apeared from somewhere and are all over the place, in the filter and even on the filter pads which seem to be getting really dirty after just a couple of days. Some of the plants seem to be dying as well but I have no idea whats going on. The only fish to thrive is the plecostomus catfish which has doubled in size since I put him in. The other fish in the tank are neons, zebra danios, angel fish, mollies and platy's. The mollies platys and angel fish have been dying one by one over the last couple of weeks. Does anyone have any idea whats going on or how to stop it?

I have had a tropical fish tank set up for just under 3 month so know very little so far but recently I had to treat tank for white spot which seemed to clear up but the water has started to turn yellow and strange smelling, my fish have started to die again but there are no marks on them to say why they died. lots of small snails seem to have apeared from somewhere and are all over the place, in the filter and even on the filter pads which seem to be getting really dirty after just a couple of days. Some of the plants seem to be dying as well but I have no idea whats going on. The only fish to thrive is the plecostomus catfish which has doubled in size since I put him in. The other fish in the tank are neons, zebra danios, angel fish, mollies and platy's. The mollies platys and angel fish have been dying one by one over the last couple of weeks. Does anyone have any idea whats going on or how to stop it?
Do regular water changes and test for nitrate, pick snmails off by hand and later when it all settles down depending on the size of your tank you could get 3 clown loaches (they don't like to be on thier own) and they will eat up the snails. If the plants are rotting take them out and then look at some of the forums on planting, it could be a number of things like wrong lighting, wrong substrate lack of fertiizer etc but i'm no plant expert. The water changes then should clear the water. Add dechlorinator to tap water and add the it to the tank at the same temperature as your tank water.

what lighting have you got in your tank. there are lots of different light strips out there but i like to use one that incourages plant growth rather than one that enhances colour in fish. also after you treated for white spot did you remove the chemicals used with lots of regular water changes as leaving chemicals in the tank for long times will eventually discolour and kill the plant. as the plant dies it will also polute your tank poisoning the fish.
as for snails. ive failed to prevent them from getting into my tank. they come in as eggs on plants, with fish as free floating in the bags. all sorts of ways. sometimes i squash them against the tank turning them into food for the fish.

Most reactions

Back