Yellow Tang

revolt

Reaction score
hello.. i got a yellow tang last week. its not eating the flakes, shrimps, or seaweed.. i see it picking from rocks some times but is it enough for it? i am also thinking to add more tangs to the tank but as i know they dont get a long together in small numbers.. what is the minimum number i can add so they wont fight together and be happy? thank you all in advance..

how big's the tank? the fact that it's not eating isn't very encouraging. have you tried soaking foods in garlic to entice the fish to eat?

the tank is 120 cm x 75 cm x 40 cm. hmmmm the shrimp i offer to the fishes include some garlic.

yellow tangs are herbivores so even if it does eat the shrimp it wont get much nutrients if it gets any at all.

The above is false. Tangs (as well as any "herbivorous" fish) require meat in order to grow, and are very likely to wither and die without it, since the algae they eat in nature is covered with zoobenthos. One study, conducted by Dr. Ruth Francis-Floyd at the University of Florida, indicates that Caribbean Blue Tangs (Acanthurus coeruleus) will experience an 80% mortality rate if fed nothing but greens, with the survivors looking weak and emaciated. The only acceptable method is to feed a balanced diet, though even then tangs will do better if fed all meat than if fed all veg.

The above is false. Tangs (as well as any "herbivorous" fish) require meat in order to grow, and are very likely to wither and die without it, since the algae they eat in nature is covered with zoobenthos. One study, conducted by Dr. Ruth Francis-Floyd at the University of Florida, indicates that Caribbean Blue Tangs (Acanthurus coeruleus) will experience an 80% mortality rate if fed nothing but greens, with the survivors looking weak and emaciated. The only acceptable method is to feed a balanced diet, though even then tangs will do better if fed all meat than if fed all veg.

I believe you but if they can survive better on meat only than vegetable only, then wouldnt they be classified as omnivores/carnivores or should be classified as omnivores/carnivores?

hello.. i got a yellow tang last week. its not eating the flakes, shrimps, or seaweed.. i see it picking from rocks some times but is it enough for it? i am also thinking to add more tangs to the tank but as i know they dont get a long together in small numbers.. what is the minimum number i can add so they wont fight together and be happy? thank you all in advance..

Hmm it doesn't sound to encouraging at the moment. I'd go with what Ski said and try the garlic. Usually they can't resist the stuff.

I'd also examine the fish closely for any signs of parasites or disease. When my clowns got sick, they didn't eat for about 5 days. One died (it was shipped to me sick... last time I use tropicalfish4u.co.uk). Tangs get whitespot as soon as look at them, so check to see its all clear. If it poops, does the detritus hang from the fishes anus for a long period of time? like a long string of it. If so this can be a good indication of an internal parasite or other infection.

I'd recommend you wait before adding other tangs and would strongly suggest you quarantine any new additions and treat them for ich and internal parasites before adding to your display tank. If you get whitespot in there and you have tangs... you will have a real battle on your hands... believe me.

My tang greedily eats anything....flakes, brine (live & frozen) & nori...I think she ought to go on a diet! :lol: Yeah, garlic is good, give it a try...I chop up one clove and mix it with a block of frozen brine shrimp, then let it sit for a few minutes, then pour it all in the tank. She nibbles bits of garlic quite heartily

How is the tang behaving? Are there places for it to hide, e.g. between live rock and the back glass? What does the yellow strip down its sides look like? if it's yellow, then it's healthy, if it's white, then it is stressed, and if it is stressed, it's less likely to eat....
(note the yellow strip also goes white when they sleep at night)

Mine tends to be quite shy, and will dart behind the LR if there are any sudden movements right in front of the tank

I believe you but if they can survive better on meat only than vegetable only, then wouldnt they be classified as omnivores/carnivores or should be classified as omnivores/carnivores?
Well since they naturally try to eat greens (in addition to plankton) and only get the meat "by accident", they are classed as herbivores.

Most reactions

Back