Yellow Tang Missing Chunks Of It's Body

Imaruki

Reaction score
IMAGE_043.jpg

What the hell caused this? I have noticed my 3-striped damsel biting at the fins of the tang, but did it do all that damage to my fish??? If so, I think I'm gonna flush that damn thing. A $25 fish is more important than a $3 one...I'm sorry. I will call my fish store to see if they'll take back the damsels first though....but here are a few more pics of some of the other life in the tank for just incase.

IMAGE_044.jpg

IMAGE_045.jpg

TBH mate I would also be concerned about the Bleached Anemonne - that is not a healthy sign

On to the Tang, do you have a sump or a Hospital Tank to rehouse the tang, I would definatly get rid of the Damsel if ghe is harrassing the Tang

Has the Tang had any illness's etc recently ?

PS what lighting you running? - regards the Nem

:good:

What's wrong with the anenome? I thought they were supposed to look like that. No, I don't have a spare tank to put it in alone :( Damsel is in a the same bag I brought him home in right now. And, no the tang has been doing great lately. Ever since I got it some algae strips it's been one of the best fish in my tank. Umm...lighting is FT27W Dual Daylight, FT27W Dual Actinic, and blue LEDs.

Well, I got back home from being gone and the tang was dead on the bottom. The domino damsel pretty much finished him off. All 4 damsels have been removed and taken back to the fish store where they gave me $2 per fish. I guess I won't need the algae strips anymore if all that's gonna be alive in there now is 4 turbo snails, 2 dwarf blue leg hermits, a lawnmower blenny, an anenome, 2 starfish, a sea urchin, and the wolf eel I'm about to put in there..........

Thats a pretty common Haitian Atlantic anemone. Its a little bleached but not too badly. This type of nem is not very photosynthetic at all and relies heavily on feeding off of shrimp/fish/etc. Do you feed it directly?

There should be little pink tips on the anenome.

Matt

No, I don't really. I'm not really sure what to feed it or how. I've got some frozen krill for my eel......and I've noticed something very odd to me. My Domino damsel likes to sit in the anenome and just rub around in it....is that normal?

No, I don't really. I'm not really sure what to feed it or how. I've got some frozen krill for my eel......and I've noticed something very odd to me. My Domino damsel likes to sit in the anenome and just rub around in it....is that normal?

It is normal for certain species of fish to 'host' in Nems

You will really need to reasearch the feeding habits & requirements on this Nems ASAP, realistacally that should have been done long before buying it

IIRC Cony Nems do require HO Lighting likes of Metal Halides !!!!

http://www.fishforums.net/A-Short-Anemone-...rs-t160869.html
http://www.marinedepotlive.com/reef-haitia...s-anemones.html
&
http://www.centralpets.com/animals/fish/sa...ts/swi1675.html

Well, the guy at the fish store told me the tank lights that are already in it were just fine......I figured that since he's been in business over 20 years, he knew more than me since I've only been playing in saltwater for about 2 and a half.

Personally I would trust most LFS as far as I could throw them

Mostly only see $$££$$

Independant reasearch is the answer

I unfortunately had the same problem in my tank once I introduced a damsil. About 6 months ago all the fish in the tank got ich and every single fish died minus the Yellow tang. His fins were all eaten away. Not quite as bad as your tang was though. His fins are almost completely regenerated. I think by the end of this month his fins will be completely restored.

If anyone wants to buy an unkillable yellow tang, just let me know! This thing has been through 3 ich infections where he was the only surviving fish every time and his condition looked really bad each time, but he kept on going! I've now moved away from fish that are prone to ich..

He could be a carrier....!
The last time the tank broke out with ich and everything else died I did a copper treatment and the tang lived well beyond any levels of copper I ever expected it to. It's been several months and haven't seen a spec of ich since. Hopefully it stays that way!

I also turned the water temperature up to 95 degrees and lowered the salinity to .019. I know those are all drastic measures, but it was the 3rd time I had lost $2-300 worth of fish and wasn't about to let it happen again. By all accounts the tang should have died, but he's still going!

Most reactions

Back