🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Ferris

Do ya feel lucky punk?
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm having a problem with the larger of my 2 tanks. All the rocks/decorations etc have a fine coating of what looks like Yellow/Brown algae. I think that this is caused by the lighting as i do have a double light tank lid, although the lights are only on for 4-5 hours a day. The water is crystal clear so this issue only slightly affects the appearance of the tank and not the fish/environment but if anyone has any tips on getting rid of this, please let me know.

Thanks

Brown alage is unlikely to be caused by exesive lighting. This type of algae can thrive even at low light levels. It is more common in new tanks (upto 12 weeks) in this case it will usually disapear after the tank has stabalised. Avoid over feeding and make sure you keep your filter and substrate well maintained and perform the nesercarry water changes. If your tank is well established you may want to test for nitrates and phosphates and see if that shows up anything. If all else fails you could get yourself an otocinclus catfish, they love this sort of algae ;) There are also phosphate-adsorbing resins you can buy that will remove silicates also (which this algae thrives on) but that would only be a tempory measue and unless you tackle the root of the problem it may return.

Thanks a lot for the info, the tank is now 6 months old and the water parameters are all normal. I did have a sailfin Plec in the tank who always did a good job with any algae but unfortunately its an Mbuna setup and they were nipping his fins a bit too often so I had to move him. I do have 2 Synodotis catfish but they are very small at present. Do you know of any products etc that may help with this.

Thanks again

Otocinclus Affinis/Vestitus (Dwarf Sucker/Oto), are renowned algae eaters, as are Siamese Algae Eaters (SAE's). Why not give either a try? Also, how about some snails? They're easy to breed, and in number.

By the sound of it, your lighting isn't an issue. You didn't mention if you had any (real) plants in your tank, so you'll have nothing to soak up the nitrates. You might need to keep in check your nitrates. Too much = lots of algae.

Additionally, regular water changes should keep in check your nitrates, as well as the others (nitrites, ammonia, ph, kh etc).

Sorry, don't know what a 'Mbuna' set up consists of, so help this helps. :D

PS try to not use chemicals, always look for a biological solution to any problem.

Most reactions

Back