Yeah Yeah Yeah... Lighting :0)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Nalaundi

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Just a quicky question.

just upgraded my 12g nano to a reg 20gH 24"X12"X16 3/4'' with 25ish lbs of LR. a Royal gramma (had him in my 12g... goin on a year and half for him) and just purchased a small clown fish. cuc is 4 blue legged hermits, 3 scarlet reef hermits, 5 turbo snails.

I will get a shrimp of some variety and and corals eventually though I am confused on all lighting stuff.. for the corals. I have a aqualight compact flourecent 130watt one antic bulb and one daylight bulb the actual bulbs are coralife. calculated out to be just over 6watts per gallon. is this concidered low moderate or high lighting. Im confused on which corals will do well in my setup. I work at a pet store and have delt greatly with fresh water fish (4years and going) and have been working at home with my little nano for around 2 years but havent been in a stable enough home to justify getting corals. now I can and now im back to being confused. here is a pic from about a month ago just after my rock was finished curing and had just been placed in its new home.
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p16/nalaundi/008.jpg

if you have 130watts of light above a 2ft x 12in x 16in tank you could keep virtually any coral. That is a lot of light for such a small tank.

Corals need lots of water movement but will not tolerate the currents being directed at them all day. they need variable water movement rather than being in a constant stream.

You also need to keep the water clean and if you are keeping hard corals then keep the calcium levels up above 400ppm.

perfect! that is just what I wanted to hear.. I have the two water pumps facing the front glass (mounted on the back) at different levels. and Im diligent on my upkeep of weekly 25% water changes so no problems there... yeah happy me

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back