WWII History Buffs

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

steelhealr

Hug a mod Nano Reef Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Hi....seeing that we have so many people here from the UK, perhaps some people might have interest in seeing some photos from the war period. My father was stationed in England during WWII from Nov. '44-April, '45. He was a B17 bomber pilot and was stationed in Nuthampstead, near a small town called Roysten. Station 151 it was called, 8th Air Force, 603rd, 398th. He had nothing but the best things to say about the British while he was there. He left me an amazing photo album, his entire uniform left as it was from the end of the war and many other articles relating to his ship.

These aren't posted in any particular order. If there is expressed interest, I'll continue to post some photos. Here are some shots that my dad left me relating to his service in England:

Dad2b.jpg

The Woodman Inn....still exists:

dad6a.jpg

Finding humor in dire circumstances:

dad4.jpg

The pilot survived; the navigator didn't:

dad5a.jpg

Not sure where this is:

dad3a.jpg

Stolen from the recon board, Berlin:

Dad1a.jpg

SH

Nice to see the old pics.
My hubbys dad was a rear gunner in the mitchell bombers and had a few scrapes himself. One being the plane was hit on the christmas day before the war ended and his best friend the navigator was killed.
I dont know where he was based though.

Nice shots :nod:

I couldn't resist a bit of a search, The church is Royston Church and can be seen HERE

And I found THIS SITE that you may find of interest ;)

Arfie

Arfie...EXCELLENT.....wow....good job. You put a title on a pic from long ago. I'm making a notation of it in his book. Thanks so much. I should put tons more up for ID here (don't worry..won't torture everyone one).

Thanks for everyone's post. Apparently the land is/was owned by a farmer and they have tried to preserve one of the runways. I regret that I was not able to go back and see this area with him and the men/woman from the era are leaving us. SH

fantastic pictures!!!my partners grandad was in the navy & he took pictures of every where he went aswel as ships being torpedoed,planes bein blown up & houses flattened.it really brings to life how brave these men & women were to put there lives at such risk for us all!!each & every last one of them is a hero in my mind!!!

post some more pics steelhealr,its great for these people to be honoured in this way!!!!!!!!

shaz :)

i have a really good pic somewhere of my late grandad in the war, he was posted in egypt for most of it, lots of pics of desert and camels!

i'll dig around for pics when i'm at my dads house next.

before he was sent away, both him and my late nanny were living in enfield (north london, very very bombed), she worked in factories in london the whole way through the war, at one point they were trapped in the middle of a roundabout (which is now a huge junction) with a flying bomb circling round and round and round overhead, they didn't know which way to run!

i love old stories like that.

If you look carefully in the picture, you can see the following labels:
-Chancellory
-Gestapo headquarters
-Unter den Linden

I'll post more. Perhaps some of them you can ID for me..one's taken in England.

My dad described seeing 'doodlebugs', the unmanned rockets that they used on London. He saw the first jet on one mission. He was once forced to return on one engine and had to land at an English base in Gravesend I believe. Not sure if there is an airfield still there or if it's been built over. SH

Here is the link to the same pub...hope to have 'a pint' there someday. SH

http://www.zen53475.zen.co.uk/arounduk/thewoodman-inn/

Hey,
My great uncle who has sadly passsed away in this last month was a flyer in the RAF in WW2. He bombed Dresden. During the war he was imprisioned in Stalagluf POW camp. Here is alittle story about him. He was told to escape from the camp by his fellow officers so that he could go and find information about the trains and then be recaptured by the Germans and sent back to Stalagluf. He succeded in doing this and he was so loyal that the informtion he founded helped his officers to escape and not him. He was imprisoned in the camp until the end of the war.
Anyhow ithought this was a great time to post as to 'honour' his death and tell others about how brave he was.
Thnaks :good:

nice photos they are. I like a bit of history. :good:

Most reactions

Back