Wtf I Killed My Reedfish! Emergency!

danrogy

Reaction score
One of my two reedfish is dead!!!! I came home from work and the new guy was dead, his skin looked all "roughed up". Mr. Fantastic was barely moving and I though he was dead too but I think he was in mourning! He also looks to have roughed up skin. What have I done?!?!? It's been a while since I changed the filter, like six weeks. The tank is clear save for a bit of algae on the walls. I don't wana lose Mr. Fantastic as well. Help I'm having a fish emergency!!! :sad:

-Dan

Wow! Thanks a bunch for all the advice everybody! I particularly appreciate the redirect to the fish emergency forum. I am SO GLAD I was able to find The Friendliest Fish Forum Around! Over 40 people have read this thread and each and every one posted! You guys and gals rock. :no:

Come on... be patient. The Oddball section isn't a high-traffic part of the site. For emergencies, yes, you should post in the emergency section. And putting "wtf" in your title is going to start things of on a the wrong foot... this is a family-oriented site, and swearing is more likely to get some eye-rolling rather than help.

OK. Back to fish. Fish die for all kinds of reasons. So give some details: water temperature, pH, hardness. How big is the tank? What else is in the aquarium? Have you done a nitrite or ammonium test? That's the first thing to do when a fish dies mysteriously. Certainly do a 50% water change right now.

Cheers,

Neale

Wow! Thanks a bunch for all the advice everybody! I particularly appreciate the redirect to the fish emergency forum. I am SO GLAD I was able to find The Friendliest Fish Forum Around! Over 40 people have read this thread and each and every one posted! You guys and gals rock. :no:

Forty-odd reads of the thread is high enough traffic. Neale, you're one of the two people who have been helpful to me here and I apologize if I've offended you. Everyone else-I stand by my previous statement. I'd like to think a curse word wouldn't be enough of a reason to help me kill my fish through laissez-faire, especially because it was out of frustration. Nonetheless I have found the fish emergency section where people have been helping. Again Neale, thank you for your help. If I could figure out how to delete/modify this thread I would've done it by now.

-Dan

It's difficult to hazard a guess what went wrong with your fishes. "Roughed up skin" could mean various things. If the water chemistry goes wrong, many fish produce extra mucous on their skin, and that gives them a whitish look. It's possible that's what happened here. Definitely check the pH: if pH changes rapidly, it can kill otherwise healthy fish.

Ropefish should be fairly nitrite tolerant because they live in swamps and can breathe air, so while a filter problem could be to blame, it wouldn't be my first guess.

Is there anything in with the fish? I could imagine something like a plec rasping at a ropefish that was sick, and in doing so produce scratches or inflammation on the skin. I've seen Otocinclus attack large gobies and produce this sort of damage. Alternatively, could the fish have gone somewhere it shouldn't? Such as inside a filter or wedged behind a heater. I'd certainly put a heater guard around the heater if keeping this species (or for that matter any eel-like fish -- there is a risk of the fish wedging itself behind the heater when switched off, only to get burned when the heaters comes on).

Assuming your pH and water quality are good, then I suppose a disease could be the thing, but ropefish aren't particularly prone to getting sick. I would imagine their armour plating makes them fairly resistant to whitespot, though someone like beblondie would know better than I. Fungus and finrot are possible and both can cause white patches on the body, but these are rarely fatal, at least not in their early stages.

Cheers,

Neale

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back