Would you eat lab cultivated chicken?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Would you buy and eat lab grown chicken?

• Yes

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • undecided

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fishmanic

TFF Contest Czar
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Last edited:
No, notta, no way... If I have my meat I want it to ACTUALLY be FROM an animal. I feel bad for its death but I don't want a "grown" piece of meat that's weird

Actually, l would....

Lab grown meat would be really helpful for combatting climate change and is probably more ethical, given that we wouldn’t have to kill as many animals for food. They could probably make it more healthy than actual meat by fortifying it with vitamins and lowering the fat content, etc. there are definitely a lot of potential benefits. However, meat grown in a lab just turns me off for some reason. The idea of meat growing in a petrie dish just turns my stomach. Maybe it’s one of those things we’ll get used to with time

Lab grown meat would be really helpful for combatting climate change and is probably more ethical, given that we wouldn’t have to kill as many animals for food. They could probably make it more healthy than actual meat by fortifying it with vitamins and lowering the fat content, etc. there are definitely a lot of potential benefits. However, meat grown in a lab just turns me off for some reason. The idea of meat growing in a petrie dish just turns my stomach. Maybe it’s one of those things we’ll get used to with time
Killing animals for food is not unethical. Its natural order. The way we raise them in captivity nowadays is unethical. Lab grown meats sound like a good idea but there would be a pretty substantial incline in genetic mutation in the long term. The newer generations would be highly at risk of genetic diseases. As you said, lab foods are probably going to be the usual in a few decades. Lets just hope medicinal technology evolves as fast as the industrialization of lab made foods.

There's no correlation with cancer. There is a bit of superstition about these things. I mean, we eat antibiotic raised chicken which is washed in heavy chlorine solutions in many places.

It's just food. No soylent green for me, but I grew up on 1960s cooking, and I'm still breathing.

There's no correlation with cancer. There is a bit of superstition about these things. I mean, we eat antibiotic raised chicken which is washed in heavy chlorine solutions in many places.

It's just food. No soylent green for me, but I grew up on 1960s cooking, and I'm still breathing.
Haha not cancer I was merely joking but there would be a change in genetics present in the later generations (higher genetic disorders, more people with more allergies etc).

I don't know if there would be problems. I would hate to work in a real boneless chicken factory. So many of the animals we eat are highly modified already. You wouldn't catch me eating a glofish, a blood parrot or a flowerhorn, but only because they're unappealing. True mock/spam chicken - why not?

The tech would work, I believe, by modifying the genes controlling growth, and we would digest and destroy those genes. If I eat a deer, I don't grow antlers, as good as they'd look on me. I eat a lot of chicken, and I rarely peck at pebbles in the backyard or crow at the rising sun. Well, maybe on Fridays, but.

I don't know if there would be problems. I would hate to work in a real boneless chicken factory. So many of the animals we eat are highly modified already. You wouldn't catch me eating a glofish, a blood parrot or a flowerhorn, but only because they're unappealing. True mock/spam chicken - why not?

The tech would work, I believe, by modifying the genes controlling growth, and we would digest and destroy those genes. If I eat a deer, I don't grow antlers, as good as they'd look on me. I eat a lot of chicken, and I rarely peck at pebbles in the backyard or crow at the rising sun. Well, maybe on Fridays, but.
Yeah the animals we eat are already fairly modified genetically and look at the newer generations: allergy cases have almost trippled. A personal example I can give is my sisters. My family and I never had any allergies (nor relatives / ancestry). My sisters are much younger than me and thry have an age gap of 3 years between one another. Both of them have lactose intolerance, gluten allergy and the youngest one has also egg allergy. Eggs... like...how lol. Our diets of industrialised foods and genetic changed animals are already causing these types of issues. Let alone lab grown meats. I've been doing genetics for a while and I wouldn't trust a man made meat. Just doesn't sound right...

Killing animals for food is not unethical. Its natural order. The way we raise them in captivity nowadays is unethical. Lab grown meats sound like a good idea but there would be a pretty substantial incline in genetic mutation in the long term. The newer generations would be highly at risk of genetic diseases. As you said, lab foods are probably going to be the usual in a few decades. Let’s just hope medicinal technology evolves as fast as the industrialization of lab made foods.
Actually, you could argue that it is unethical to kill animals for food if we have a viable alternative (i.e. lab grown meat). Also, a few of the practices we have around the way we raise, keep and slaughter livestock is unethical

Actually, you could argue that it is unethical to kill animals for food if we have a viable alternative (i.e. lab grown meat). Also, a few of the practices we have around the way we raise, keep and slaughter livestock is unethical
I know the way we raise them is unethical. But killing them for food is not. Its like saying lions are unethical for choosing to hunt prey for meat when it can just evolve/adapt to eat plants. ...

We already grow our own vegetables....eventually every person could grow their own meat right at home ..... wouldnt that be cool

We already grow our own vegetables....eventually every person could grow their own meat right at home ..... wouldnt that be cool
I can already see the food packages : "instant meat"

Most reactions

Back