The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FishFinatic77

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
So, I probably have this thread in the wrong spot, but I have a question about the filters on my tanks. I have been using filter cartridges for years now, but they cost a fortune and I'm having trouble actually finding the sizes I need.
Today I saw a video on youtube about using aquarium sponge in your filter instead of a cartridge. Would it be okay if I replaced the cartridge with some sponge?
I also saw that you can use polyfiber. Would this be better than a sponge? Shoud I use both?
If I do use sponge and/or polyfiber, how often would I have to clean it?
Thanks!

I have used sponges in some of my filters instead of media. I buy a large square on EBay and cut to size. Lasts a long time! Good luck!

Sponge will be fine. Rinse it out weekly. Don't swap all the cartiges for sponge at once so that you can allow the beneficial bacteria to establish on the sponge before removing everything that's already there.

I would recommend both. A sponge first for the big debris, then finer floss to catch the smaller particles and polish the water. Rinse in tank water- the sponge one week and the floss the next week.
I also have ceramics before the sponge which are meant to house alot of beneficial bacteria. I rinse these once a month.
The cartridges are unnecessary and, as you say, pricey.
All the best.

Thanks for all your replies! I'll see where I can get some and I will slowly switch over. Can't wait to not have to buy cartridges anymore! :)

You can buy the sponges in course, fine, medium, etc. I actually use a medium to catch larger things and fine behind it to pick up smaller stuff.

Fiber on the top for mechanical. Stuff that thing as much as you can with media. Just make sure the water flow is right and doesn't come out the sides.

Sponges are the best media in my opinion, They are effective and easy to clean.

After years of testing I found that sponge material is not only a great mechanical media, but also an EXCELLENT platform for beneficial biology. I have several Aquaclear filters and they are totally filled with sponge material. And many large fishroom's totally run on air driven sponge filters. Expensive bio-medias (ceramics, plastics, and (lava) rocks) are just a cash cow for manufacturers (who most often recommend replacing half the media every other month or so!). The same is true for cartridge type HOB's. Replacing a cartridge not only wastes money, but beneficial bacteria is just thrown away.
So yes, you can enhance your cartridge type filter by replacing a cartridge with sponge material. Be sure to rinse/clean sponges in tank or non-chlorinated water to preserve BB.
Tank on, Mike

Heres what I do with my marineland 200. I removed the filter material from the plastic backing Then I cut filter floss to size of backing and cut a piece of 1 inch thick sponge to the size of the backing. You can buy a large sheet of sponge material. I use low density sponge as the floss will catch the smaller debris. The floss is attached to the plastic backing and then the sponge is attached. I use a wire tie to keep it together. It will slide into the grooves of the filter. Every two weeks I discard the gunked up floss and replace with fresh floss and then squeeze out the sponge several times in tank water. You can buy a huge roll of floss from amazon or Big Als for less than 10 bucks. No more need for expensive filter catridges.

Heres what I do with my marineland 200. I removed the filter material from the plastic backing Then I cut filter floss to size of backing and cut a piece of 1 inch thick sponge to the size of the backing. You can buy a large sheet of sponge material. I use low density sponge as the floss will catch the smaller debris. The floss is attached to the plastic backing and then the sponge is attached. I use a wire tie to keep it together. It will slide into the grooves of the filter. Every two weeks I discard the gunked up floss and replace with fresh floss and then squeeze out the sponge several times in tank water. You can buy a huge roll of floss from amazon or Big Als for less than 10 bucks. No more need for expensive filter catridges.
Aren’t you throwing away some of your good bacteria by doing that every 2 weeks? I may be confused.

Aren’t you throwing away some of your good bacteria by doing that every 2 weeks? I may be confused.
Some but for an established tank this is no big deal. The sponge stays so a lot of the BB stay with it. The numbers of bacteria can double in a single day provided the conditions are right (food being the biggest requirement). So even if you throw out half of the good bacteria your tank probably won't even notice.

Of course this assumes it is an established system. This is why we always recommend not to clean the filter at all for the first month or 2 in a new tank.

Last edited:
He's tossing the little bit of floss that he's using for mechanical filtration. There may be some bacteria in there, but the larger sponge is where it mostly lives. That gets rinsed in tank water to keep the bacteria alive.

Ok. Next time I'm at my LFS I'll buy enough for both my tanks. Thank you for all your replies everybody!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back