Would This Work?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

meggofishy

Reaction score
so I am slowly but surely getting more fish in my 20 gallon aquarium. right now I have 3 platies and 1 oto, I would like to get a small school of neon tetras going as well, I am  looking into getting a 'show fish' for my tank, something big ish. i like the gouramis would they get too big to have with the rest of the fish I have? would a dwarf gouramis be better? I would only want one. :)

Is your tank cycled?
You could get a shoal of neons
You must get 5 more ottos as they are shoaling fish
You could get a honey/ dwarf gourami or betta as a centerpiece fish.

I don't know about "must" get 5 more otos. I have only one left, and I'm not getting any others. One by one my group of 6 died, and the one left is healthy and seems content. I've heard bad things about adding more once there is only one left.

If you do get a shoal of neons, I'd suggest cardinals instead as they don't seem to fall ill with neon tetra disease as easily, and frankly I think they're more striking.

Also beware of dwarf gourami if you don't have a well-established tank. Honey would be better, a betta is also a good idea. 

How long has your tank been set up and filter cycled?

I set up my tank the 18th of febuary, but I moved to a new apartment on march 15 which might have ruined the cycle however my water has been fairly good even with my group of fish now. my platies had babies there are nine fry in the tank now, its the first batch so I want to keep them alive but after this one i'm sure the appeal will wear off so I wont mind if they get eaten. I would be getting the gourami in septmeber or august which would mean that the tank would be set up for at least 6 months before I get one.

and what is a shoal? is it just a group? and cardinal tetras are nice but I love the neons, but I would rather get some rummynose tetras instead of the neons, its just that they are so hard to find. 

is my tank large enough to get a regular sized gorami?

Yeah shoal is just a group.
The dwarves are the only gourami for a 20 gal. Rummynoses would work just as well.

Here's a list:
1 honey/ dwarf gourami or betta
8 neon/ rummynose tetra
4-5 ottos.

I'll fall back on previous statement regarding ottos as I've never kept them and Ive heard talk of ottos killing new school members.

The above stocking list is what id do with the 20 g.

that sounds good, thanks now i'll just have to find a place that sells the rummynose tetras. I am also looking into getting a second nano tank to raise fry in to avoid overcrowding.. anyway thanks :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back