Would This Work?

furry catfish

Fishaholic
Joined
May 9, 2009
Messages
450
Reaction score
0
Points
0
hello everyone :shout: I have got a 42 gallon tank and I have been looking up ways to use it.Following up some advice I resarched new world chichlids.I found 1 that I liked,the angle fish,I also researched more fish and came up with a community.2 angles,5 platies,5 bleeding heart tetras,5 sterbas cory,3 yoyo loach and 2 otos.Would this work?, if so can I add a few bosemani rainbow fish?




thanks :good:

chris :hyper:
 
I would up the otos to at least 6, and put them in last as they are very sensitive and prefer a mature tank

i would also have probably at least 5 yoyos

otherwise i see no problems =]
 
Otos need a stable mature tank. Much of the problem with them is dietary it seems, they do need a healthy supply of algae. Proper shipping is also a concern, you want to get them eating on the receiving end as soon as possible. This is more a concern of your supplier than anything else.

You may have some compatibility issues with two randomly picked angels. Best bet is to start with the angels, a group of 6, and grow them out letting a pair form. Return the remainder, then stock around that. By this time you will have a tank that is mature enough for otos.
 
That's a good idea but I don't think the pet store near me takes back fish in case they get a diseas in my tank and pass it on to the other fish at the store.Insead of the otos could I get maybe 1 or 2 bristle nose cat fish because they seem really cool :D
 
Those shops aren't too bright, potential breeder angels bring a good price. Check out our local club listing here, plenty of folks would be happy to take a few angels off your hands. You should worry more about getting a disease in your tank from their stock than they should from yours, especially if these are fish that have been growing out for months. Just for giggles ask what quar procedure they follow for stock they get shipped in, very few shops follow a proper quar procedure.

Bristlenose would work as well, and are much less sensitive than otos. If you get two try to get the largest & smallest ones in the tank, or there about. Smaller ones are generally female, larger male. Two mature male bristlenose will get territorial, a male & female will do fine together.
 
Tolak:Lol I think I'll try that :D and 2 bn plecos would be a could cleaning squad combined with the corys,do you think I could fit in a couple of shrim,or would they get eaten by the angels?

robby:does this mean I can't get the rainbows?
 
Some people have had mixed results with less tan 6 fish. Can it be done? Yes, but it's not for the best interest of the fish. Like tetras, rainbows are social fish.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top