Would This Be Any Good?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

seb_negrete

Reaction score
towards the end of the summer i'm going to be setting up my first nano reef tank. i'm going to be accumulating all the equipment and everything gradually over the summer.
so far all i've gotten is a bare 27 G (30"x12"x18") tank.

for lighting, my LFS (which has been very good to me so far) has suggested that i go with 1 or 2 of these: http://www.bigalsonline.ca/catalog/product...id1=1843;pcid2=
i like the idea that i would be able to add more later needed. (i'm planning only to keep low-moderate-light requiring corals).

i was looking around a bit for powerheads and such and i came by this on ebay which seemed interesting as my LFS also strongly recommended that i think about a protein skimmer: http://cgi.ebay.ca/New-Jebo-Reef-Style-Pro...1QQcmdZViewItem
it is way cheaper than anything else i've seen though so i'm very skeptical. i just don't know anything about it.
also for a very noob question: i'm still not entirely clear on what a power head does because i don't think that i've ever actually seen one in person. i realize that it creates current and injects air but how and where?

anyways, any help would be appreciated and i'm sure i'll have more questions soon.

also, forgot to ask if anyone has any suggestions for an inexpensive RO system. is there anything in particular i should be looking for?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Ok first off, the term powerhead refers to a submersible water pump. Poweheads are primarily used to create flow in a tank by pushing water around and to operate flow-requiring filtration pieces. They operate sumps as return pumps and skimmers to supply the skimmer with water flow. When they operate skimmers they are equipped with a "venturi" to allow air into the intake and make htousands of mini bubbles.

As for the Jebo protein skimmers, I've used one. They're cheap and moderately effective. Nothin great, but they do the job. If you're thinkin of a tank with lots of fish, prolly not worth it. but if you're stocking lightly, they're a pretty good solution.

Those are decent light for lwo-moderat elight corals in a tank such as yours.

As for RO, I'm not too sure what's available in canada, but what I would do is look for used ones with good membranes if I were you.

thanks for the reply.
still not entirely sure that i'm going to put a skimmer in.
i've found myself 2 used hagen powerheads locally so that's taken care of now.
i plan on having like 3-4 fish is suppose. that seems reasonable right?

as for the RO, i think i'm going to see if it's a big hassle to just buy the water once in a while at my LFS. i have a spare 10G that i plan on running in a closet to keep spare water so that should make it a bit easier. if that becomes incovenient, i'll get myself an ebay RO most likely.

more input welcome. thanks

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back