Would I be overstocked?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Cherrys

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
There was a misunderstanding at the store and now I'm needing some advice on how to finish stocking my 55gal (208L). Dimensions are 48x13x21.
Parameters:
Temp: 75-76
PH: 7.6
GH: 21
KH: 14

Current stock will be 18 cherry barbs with what appears to be atleast one male possibly two or three. The new ones are very young/small so it is hard to sex them right now. I am guessing this will put my stock at close to 50%? I usually understock my tanks so I'm a bit concerned about adding too many more fish considering the barbs can now breed. Previously I had 6 females with the intention of only getting 4-6 more females.

Will a second school be too much? I was initially thinking 10 danios, OR 10 rasboras, OR 6 loaches. Would that still work, or would I be better off sticking to something like a pleco or another species that does not need to be in a larger group? Not a fan of centerpiece fish like gourami or angels though.

My main concern is the barb shoal being too large and active, to add another active schooling/shoaling fish like the ones mentioned above, even if they are a bottom dweller since the barbs are all over the tank.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! I'm not looking to take some of the barbs back. I would rather have a species only tank (if it comes to that) than try to return some of them.

Maybe add a single Bolivian ram and a small pleco.. perhaps a Bushynose pleco for some bottom activity.

No loaches, your GH is way too high for them. Same for rasboras.

Id say the cherry barbs are in a great hearty group, perhaps add some zebra danios up top for some dither fish and perhaps a Rubberlip pleco for the low level (they like hard water, add a bit of a current though, just enough the barbs will be okay with it too). But the barbs would be just fine as the only up top fish to be honest, if you dont want more.

Would skip the ram idea too based on the very high GH

Is your tank planted, if not plant it and try to soften the water, that will give you more options

Is your tank planted, if not plant it and try to soften the water, that will give you more options

No, but I am looking to plant it. I wanted plants to help with the nitrates in our tap. I did not know plants softened the water too. I added 3 Java Fern bunches yesterday and am planning to add some frogbit in the next few weeks. Any specific plants I should get?

My husband ordered a water softener so we will see what that does to the water as well. I can always bypass it if it makes it too soft for my current fish.

Go for mainly stemmed plants as they will grow fast. Add some peat to your filter if you can, or almond leaves these things will help to soften your water.

My husband ordered a water softener
What type of water softener?
Some types swap the hardness minerals for sodium and these should not be used for fish tanks.

Plants do not soften water. The best way to do that is by mixing the hard tap water with a type of pure water such as reverse osmosis water (RO). This is water that has had everything dissolved in it removed.

I'm not sure what you're asking. He said all softeners need salt...I can bypass the softener when doing water changes for the tank. I am not looking to mess with the softness by adding chemicals or other water sources.

I will stick to hard water fish. I have not had any issues keeping fish in the past and we have always had hard water. I kept Rasbora's for 5yrs with no issues. That is within their lifespan, so I wouldn't say they significantly had a poorer quality of life. Either way, I'd prefer Danio's if they can be kept in a way where both schools can be happy. I will get a rubberlip, I think I prefer those to loaches anyway :) Does a rubberlip eat wood too or just clown plecos? With my high KH it sounds like I would not have to worry about driftwood lowering my PH, so maybe I'll add it even if it would not need it.

Are Danio's easy to sex? Sounds like they might be easy to breed. If I never raise my temp will the likelihood of breeding be much lower? What would be a good number to keep them happy? Can they thrive in a group of 6 or should they be kept in a group of atleast 8? Would 8 fit without being too cramped for swimming space? Would the group size depend on the type of danio?

What type of water softener?
Some types swap the hardness minerals for sodium and these should not be used for fish tanks.

Plants do not soften water. The best way to do that is by mixing the hard tap water with a type of pure water such as reverse osmosis water (RO). This is water that has had everything dissolved in it removed.

We have a harmony series. Definitely going to need to by pass the whole system salt or not. Cold water is coming out at a dGH of 1. Hot/warm is at 14dGH, which I think is still considered hard, but the system does use sodium chloride so I'm going to bypass the whole system.

I'm planning on doing a water change today, so hopefully everything will be all good. I'll be sure to test the water before filling the tank. If I'm not using the water softener the water should be exactly the same as before correct? Any signs I should look for in the fish to indicate there is a problem other than gasping at the surface or flashing?

if you're bypassing the softener, then unless the water company has changed something it should be the same. You could test your tank water and the water coming out of the bypass before you start, and if they're relatively similar it's unlikely you will shock your fish.

I also think spastic swimming is a sign of acute water quality issues, in general from what I understand acute issues are very visible in fish behavior.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back