Would Any Saltwater Fish Work In 55 Gallons?

ZephyrStarPlaties

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a 55 gallon tank that currently holds two fancy goldfish, but I was thinking of trying out a saltwater setup. What fish would be best (if it's possible that is)? I'd just like one large fish that can live by itself.

It's definitely possible to have a 55 saltwater, in fact it's a good starting size. However, there are no "large" fish that could be happy in there IMO, but you could have a bunch of smaller fish. Look up gobies, blennies, clownfish, dwarf angels, wrasses, hawkfishes (there are more I can't think of right now) online and make a list of what you like, and we can help :)

Ooh, hawkfish and blennies are pretty. I'm not really doing any serious planning though; I'm going to spend a few years practicing water quality perfection before I try marine fish.

Quite easy. They are carnivores, get about nine inches and are aggressive. Feed them chopped seafood. They are usually cheap.

All fish are, but picassos are pretty hardy. Just make sure thr nitrate stays low to in undetectable. They can live a long time with proper care.

Oh, one more thing. Make sure to throw some vegetable matter in their for it too. Good luck :good:

And have all cables in tubing as they've been known to bite through cables and fry themselves

Ok, I'll be sure to do that. I've been doing more research on them and not one site has mentioned that!

Yeah I mean it's not definatly gonna happen but it's definatly worth doing IMO as I've read some pretty bad cases of heater cables etc being bitten but I guess if you have a sump they won't be accessible anyway

Atb bae

I saw a picasso trigger at the aquarium today, I spent a good 20 minutes training him to follow my finger. :p So cute!!

you could have a load of live rock in there and a snowflake moray and something else swimming around and have a decent display

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back