Would Any Of These Fish Work In A Ten Gallon Tank?

Imcanadieneh

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Sep 3, 2008
Messages
125
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Michigan
I'm getting some fish and its empty now so this is what I want

2 golden angels
1 common plecko...will be getting a bigger tank when he gets bigger
4 platy fry...left from when my last platy had them
1 female betta...possibly? I can move her shes in a smaller tank now
1 glass catfish
3 glass fish
3 glow fish one pink,green,yellow

thats what I want and i'm sure it wont work but even if it doesn't would the angels and the glow fish and plecko work?
 
no to the angels and what are glow fish i hope you mean glow light tetras. or are they some tatooed fish from a shop. glass catfishs are a shoaling fish you will need a shoal of 5 ish
 
2 golden angels - no, angels need a tank at least 18 inches tall, generally 30 gallons at least.

1 common plecko...will be getting a bigger tank when he gets bigger - if that new tank is coming in a matter of weeks, maybe, but they'll grow to a foot long quite quickly. A 55 gallon tank would be a minimal temporary home, IMO.

4 platy fry...left from when my last platy had them - would be fine. If they're all the same sex, they'd be fine in the 10 gallon as aduits, but if you have males and females, you'll have to deal with fry or risk the tank being overwhelmed.

1 female betta...possibly? I can move her shes in a smaller tank now - you can actually have a group, I've known people to successfully keep breeding females in groups of 6 in "sorority" 10 gallon tanks.

1 glass catfish - needs to be in a big group, and gets over 4". Debauwi glass catfish are smaller but also need a big group.

3 glass fish - depending on species, maybe. I've seen some species recommended in the oddball section for 10g, but not the ones I usually see in stores.

3 glow fish one pink,green,yellow - these are genetically engineered zebra danios, not tattooed fish, and have all the same needs. Bigger group, and very active, so they really need more swimming space.

Of the options that do work, you'd really be limited to one of them, not a mix and match.
 
Angels need 10 gals of water PER fish. Common plecos get HUGE!!! Glass catfish do need to be in schools, and grow to 5 inches, if I remember correctly. Platies, Glowlights, and a female Betta should be fine...A 10gal. tank can reasonably supprt roughly support 10 inches of small fish.
 
ok I figured it wouldn't work....so would I be able to put three female bettas, 3-4 glow fish and the fry with the plecko. im thinking about getting two cory cats instead of the plecko. Would that work?
 
common pleco will get almost as long as the tank. Definitely no. No pleco species will work in a 10 gal.

angels need more space. Probably a 29 gal or so.

Glass catfish need to be in groups

Zebra danios (glowfish) generally are suggested for a 20+ gal, since they're very active.

The other fish are okay in that tank, but not all of them.
 
so again I ask "would I be able to put three female bettas, 3-4 glow fish and the fry with the plecko. im thinking about getting two cory cats instead of the plecko. Would that work?"
 
Corydoras need to be in groups - so 6+ for them.

3 Female Bettas - yes, could work - don't know much about Bettas but know they don't need huge amount of space.
 
wel if anyone knows would the female bettas eat or kill the glowfish? and if not how many can i put in there of each? I just want variety of fish, but no tetras, well common tetras and no guppies. I want something different in my tank and like 6 fish. well 6-8 fish a clean up crew with like 3-4 fish. What would you suggest, not common fish
 
wel if anyone knows would the female bettas eat or kill the glowfish? and if not how many can i put in there of each? I just want variety of fish, but no tetras, well common tetras and no guppies. I want something different in my tank and like 6 fish. well 6-8 fish a clean up crew with like 3-4 fish. What would you suggest, not common fish

Betta may not kill or eat them, but might bully them. If you want 6 fish, 6 female bettas or 6 glowfish, not really both (maybe 5 glowfish and 1 female betta - the betta would be allright alone, as they only need groups to disperse aggression. The danios need groups to be comfortable). It wouldn't be overstocked, but TBH the danios will probably not be happy in the tank. With that, if you want a cleanup crew, a snail or shrimp, not much room for additional fish at that point.
 
I won't put glofish with betta, especially glofish (zebra danios) often nipping other fishes' fins and you can keep six glofish in 10 gal and adult true ghost shrimp as their cleaning crew. You can try female betta with glofish to see if it can work. If not well you already have small tank for betta.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top