Would 2.9wpg Be Too Much For Diy?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ebrcknrdg

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Ive been thinking about getting the Arcadia overtank luminaire. It has 4 T5 lights at 24Watts each so thats 2.9WPG. Would this been to much lighing for my 2 liter coke bottle and nutrafin bottle? I can hook another bottle up?

Bonjour,

Have you got a CO2 drop checker? If so then I believe as long as you can keep the level at around 30-35ppm then you should be fine. 2.9wpg sounds a lot but if memory serves me right then it is only classed as medium to high lighting levels.

I used to have 3 nutrafin cannisters on my 240litre tank with 2.4wpg , and could have done with another two or three to get ideal levels. So i reckon if you have got three cannistors then you will do fine.

I have now switched to pressurized CO2 to maintain stable levels so if your interested in another cannister let me know.

Hope this helps a bit?

Bonjour,

Have you got a CO2 drop checker? If so then I believe as long as you can keep the level at around 30-35ppm then you should be fine. 2.9wpg sounds a lot but if memory serves me right then it is only classed as medium to high lighting levels.

I used to have 3 nutrafin cannisters on my 240litre tank with 2.4wpg , and could have done with another two or three to get ideal levels. So i reckon if you have got three cannistors then you will do fine.

I have now switched to pressurized CO2 to maintain stable levels so if your interested in another cannister let me know.

Hope this helps a bit?

Yes ive ordered a drop checker, should be coming anyday now. Im currently getting 1-2 bubbles per second which i think is the required amount.

The lighting unit ive got my eye on is gong for £30 on ebay at the moment but its set up for a marine tank so replacement bulbs will cost £60 for the four :/ Not such a cheap luminaire after all

You don't have to use all 4 tubes do you?

Ive been thinking about getting the Arcadia overtank luminaire. It has 4 T5 lights at 24Watts each so thats 2.9WPG. Would this been to much lighing for my 2 liter coke bottle and nutrafin bottle? I can hook another bottle up?

hehe and you Told me its to much :)
changed your mind hu :)

You don't have to use all 4 tubes do you?

I dont know actually. The luminaire has separate switches for light tubes so i guess not. 3 tubes will still be £45 including price of luminaire

hehe and you Told me its to much :)
changed your mind hu :)

Only cus ive seen it cheap! no way will i pay £200!

ooo show me the link :)
as I was set on 2x t5 but if I can get 4x t5 I will as I ordered my Co2 rig (pressurized)

On a side note how was your first driving lesson?

You can keep a stable CO2 using yeast-based but I'd recommend using two units and alternating the mixture re-fills.

Unstable CO2 with 4 x 24w HO T5 over your tank is asking for algae.

Consider investing in a pressurzied CO2 system and use an Arcadia 2 x 24w HO T5 I-bar, that replaces the Juwel but keeps the flaps. The total cost will likely be less than than the Arcadia overtank luminaire and you can still grow the vast majority of plants.

You'd be surprised what you can grow with 2 x 24w HO T5, and algae won't be as likely, especially with pressurized CO2.

This is my Rio 125 with just 2 x 18w T8, much less light than 2 x 24w T5.

yea it sounds like a lot of lighting for such a tank. but then again you might have success only if you have stable co2 .. As mentioned earlier i think George is right. you can grow green lush plants with little light. Take a look at Oliver's Knottaquarium , some of his tanks only use 1.6 WPG (if i can remember correctly he doesn't you much at all but oh so Beautiful! Truly a genius.

ooo show me the link :)
as I was set on 2x t5 but if I can get 4x t5 I will as I ordered my Co2 rig (pressurized)

On a side note how was your first driving lesson?

Im not gonna tell you that cus i want it lol!

It went well thanx, i drove home!

You can keep a stable CO2 using yeast-based but I'd recommend using two units and alternating the mixture re-fills.

Unstable CO2 with 4 x 24w HO T5 over your tank is asking for algae.

Consider investing in a pressurzied CO2 system and use an Arcadia 2 x 24w HO T5 I-bar, that replaces the Juwel but keeps the flaps. The total cost will likely be less than than the Arcadia overtank luminaire and you can still grow the vast majority of plants.

You'd be surprised what you can grow with 2 x 24w HO T5, and algae won't be as likely, especially with pressurized CO2.

This is my Rio 125 with just 2 x 18w T8, much less light than 2 x 24w T5.

I do use the two units with a gang valve so if one needs changing the pressure isnt lost. I already have 2.2WPG (74watts) so dont fancy dropping now. The reason i wanted a overhead luminaire is the access issue. At the minute im balancing the tubes powered by the starter on the support bar of the tank. So when i want to get into the tank i have to remove all lights. :rolleyes: I know that T5s are better than T8s though

Fair enough. Just keep on top of changing mixtures and you should be ok.

Also consider a midday burst photoperiod i.e. 3 hours 2 tubes, 4 hours 4 tubes, 3 hours 2 tubes.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back