Worst fish keeping advice?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Morg513

Reaction score
Post below the worst fish keeping advice you’ve ever heard from a pet or fish store...

:huh:

I think the most common one is "a drop of this and put your fish in straight away"

I know my partners mum has a 15 litre tank and stocks goldfish, tetras, som cherry bora's and looking to expand. I told her it's way overcrowded, but she insists that the petshop owner knows better than I do, then asks me why her fish keep dying.

In one shop several years ago I overhead a worker telling a customer to add a bacterial starter and to add all their proposed fish at the same time or it wouldn't work. I've forgotten which brand it was now, but I do remember looking at the manufacturer's webite when I got home and that said to add fish a few at a time.

Worker sells someone a 10 gallon tank, tells them to run the filter for 1 week then can add fish.

Those fish? 1 sailfin molly, 1 betta, 1 dwarf gourami, and 1 rubbernose pleco.

That's how I started this hobby.
That 10g is now just a fry rearing tank. I still have the dwarf gourami in my 46 gallon and the sailfin molly in our 55 gallon. The others did not survive the excellent advice. <<< sarcasm.

My first 10 gallon tank I was told by a pet store worker to get 3 blood parrot cichlids and add them straight away to my tank because cycling doesn't do anything and to Never clean the tank unless it looked really dirty. I didn't know much about fish so I got the 3 cichlids but realized 2 weeks later how bad my stocking was and I gave the 3 cichlids to a more trustworthy fish store. The 10 gallon is now used as a fry tank.

My first 10 gallon tank I was told by a pet store worker to get 3 blood parrot cichlids and add them straight away to my tank because cycling doesn't do anything and to Never clean the tank unless it looked really dirty. I didn't know much about fish so I got the 3 cichlids but realized 2 weeks later how bad my stocking was and I gave the 3 cichlids to a more trustworthy fish store. The 10 gallon is now used as a fry tank.
Now I'm going to have nightmares..................... Thank you.......

I would put him in the same house with a blood thirsty hellhound and call them 'beaters'. Do you get my point?
I don't even think it was her fault, just hadn't been trained and had no idea about fish. These stores don't hire people on their expertise, it's kids, fresh out of school happy to do long shifts for minimum wage. Half of these employees hate pets

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back