Worst fish keeping advice?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I don't even think it was her fault, just hadn't been trained and had no idea about fish. These stores don't hire people on their expertise, it's kids, fresh out of school happy to do long shifts for minimum wage. Half of these employees hate pets
But call them beaters? Nope, not for me.
Let me guess, the store is pets at home you're talking about? I wouldn't be even surprised :rolleyes:

Nope, I'm not surprised at all :)
Once I saw a male betta put in with some other fish in the tank and he was pacing along the glass :( It was so sad to watch....
I always see Betta's in with tetra, sword tails, platties and female guppies. Usually hiding in a corner at the top with its fins clamped. Heartbreaking tbf

I always see Betta's in with tetra, sword tails, platties and female guppies. Usually hiding in a corner at the top with its fins clamped. Heartbreaking tbf
Same, I hate seeing them with other fish. That's a lack of knowledge :/

Worker sells someone a 10 gallon tank, tells them to run the filter for 1 week then can add fish.

Those fish? 1 sailfin molly, 1 betta, 1 dwarf gourami, and 1 rubbernose pleco.

That's how I started this hobby.
That 10g is now just a fry rearing tank. I still have the dwarf gourami in my 46 gallon and the sailfin molly in our 55 gallon. The others did not survive the excellent advice. <<< sarcasm.
Pretty much the same happened to me... they told me to cycle my tank by running the filter for a week and then I can add fish. I only have two survivors also. Now that 10 gallon is my shrimp colony.

A goldfish will be fine in a 5 gallon, also pets at home.
Or worse, 2 goldfish will be fine in a mason jar *shudder*

One owner told be just buy the cheapest water conditioner. They are all the same that is what they use in there tanks.. It just took out chlorine. I didn't buy it. don't buy fish from him at all.

One owner told be just buy the cheapest water conditioner. They are all the same that is what they use in there tanks.. It just took out chlorine. I didn't buy it. don't buy fish from him at all.
Why? Water conditioner is just for removing chlorine. Anything else will involve additives or chemicals which are bad for fish.

The only thing wrong with his statement is to buy the cheapest. The cheapest to buy is not necessarily the cheapest to use. Water conditioners differ in the amount of water they treat per ml. The cheapest ones need more conditioner to treat 1 gallon than expensive ones.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back